The unglamorous answer is coordination. During the final document week, keep one running list showing the outstanding item, who is handling it, and when it is needed. Otherwise everyone can assume someone else has it. I’d also avoid committing the remaining cash until the inspection findings...
I would want the cheapest option for the years the borrower is likely to keep it, but the exit charges make that harder to identify from the advertised rate. Compare each mortgage over the same plausible sale or refinance dates, including upfront charges, monthly payments and interest on any fee...
I would prefer the payment certainty of the 10-year fix, but that only helps if the mortgage remains suitable when plans change. A low expected cost can be outweighed by poor portability or a large charge for leaving early; a shorter term brings its own refinancing and rate-reset exposure.
Ask...
There are two plausible ways to organise this: centre everything on the single closed sale, or build a broader feature comparison across all four properties. I would use both, but avoid permanent assumptions about the unusual layout when missing information can still be obtained.
Make a grid...
I’m curious how the inspection affected your reserve. Buyers often focus on whether a finding is serious enough to change the offer, but the same report can also become the first-year maintenance plan. Even when nothing stops the purchase, grouping findings by urgency and likely disruption makes...
Money was tight. So was the timetable. Our Toronto purchase has completed, but the final week involved far more chasing than I expected after our earlier offers went nowhere.
The main improvement I would make is one shared list of every outstanding document, the person responsible and the date...
Also, what counts as New York in your search? A broad boundary can combine very different warehouse submarkets. I’d want consistent neighbourhood limits, property condition, and a clear definition of days on market. Relisted properties can otherwise make the timing difficult to interpret.
Yes, active listings can skew the result upward because the properties that sold quickly have already disappeared from that group. But completed deals have their own lag. I’d compare recent completions with withdrawn stock and newly listed volume rather than replacing one sample with another.
Outdoor space needs more detail than “has a yard.” Usability, privacy, access from the home and sunlight can matter. A large but awkward area should not necessarily receive the same adjustment as a smaller, well-connected space.
The refinance assumption is where I’d stress-test this. Run three simple cases at the end of year ten: refinancing is attractive, refinancing is available but no cheaper, and refinancing is not practical. You don’t need to predict rates; you need to know whether the current loan remains...
I would scrutinize property tax and insurance first. Don’t rely on the seller’s existing tax bill or a generic insurance estimate; obtain figures based on your purchase and the exact address. Also separate unlevered net yield from cash flow after financing. A viable property can still be a poor...
I disagree slightly with leading on the C$6,750 gap. If that amount is your hard limit, a full valuation condition may be cleaner than a tiny capped promise at this price. The seller could view the cap as mostly cosmetic while you still accept extra drafting complexity. First find out whether...
A practical worksheet would have four lines for each comparable: usable floor area and layout, condition, parking/outdoor space, and micro-location. Add tenure separately because it may not be a simple monetary adjustment. Score the evidence by reliability, with the completed sale carrying more...
I’d be cautious about simply adding a large contingency and calling the risk covered. Contractor exclusions can consume it very quickly. Get written answers on demolition disposal, protection of common areas, work outside normal access periods, ceiling and floor reinstatement, testing...
The New York details will not necessarily transfer to Toronto or another market, but the handoff lesson does. A useful question is not merely “What happens next?” but “Who contacts whom, and what confirms that it happened?” Local procedures differ, so buyers should have the relevant...