Recent content by readsAndBirch

  1. R

    Madrid studio: does “as-is” conflict with an inspection contingency?

    Seller motivation matters here. A seller prioritising speed may prefer a defined credit and a firm timetable; one focused on price may refuse any reduction and accept the risk of losing you. Instead of an open-ended request, give a short set of alternatives: proceed at the current price if the...
  2. R

    Birmingham 2-bed at £830,700 and £2,211 rent: does it work?

    Thanks all. I’ve rebuilt the model to separate routine maintenance from major works and added void council tax/utilities, reletting, insurance sensitivity and all-in acquisition cost. I won’t offer until £2,211 is supported by close rental evidence and the survey is costed. If net yield before...
  3. R

    Birmingham 2-bed at £830,700 and £2,211 rent: does it work?

    A poor estimate here could tie up £830,700 in a property that leaves almost no spendable return. The Birmingham detached home has two bedrooms and projected rent of £2,211 per month, which is only about 3.2% gross. I have included vacancy, agent fees, routine upkeep and major repairs, yet the...
  4. R

    Is £8,580 enough cash to keep after completing on a £1.041m London villa?

    One caveat: an inspection is not necessarily a priced schedule of work. It may flag age, wear or possible concerns without telling you what the repair will cost or when it must happen. Before reducing your offer or reserving cash for every comment, establish which findings are genuinely urgent...
  5. R

    Comparing a 6.58% five-year fix on a £651,300 London purchase

    I would not let the spreadsheet bury the affordability issue. At 6.58%, does the monthly payment leave enough room for repairs, moving costs and an income interruption? Then test a higher payment after the five-year fix. A future refinance is a possibility, not something I would rely on to make...
  6. R

    Comparing a 6.58% five-year fix on a £651,300 London purchase

    Five years is the obvious comparison period only if you are fairly confident you will stay that long. I would also run exit points after years two and three, using the actual early-repayment terms. A slightly cheaper five-year total can lose its advantage if your plans change and the exit charge...
  7. R

    Birmingham condo completed after several rejected offers

    I would add a caveat on rejected offers being “data.” They are useful only if you record the asking price, your terms, how long the property had been listed and any feedback you received. A rejection without context can tempt buyers to keep raising every later offer, even where the properties or...
  8. R

    Wanted: 5-bed home near Birmingham, budget £850,200

    The proposed split between cosmetic updating and major work makes sense, although I would hesitate to accept a seller’s description of the house as well cared for without supporting checks. Decoration can be changed gradually; movement, persistent damp, roof failure or questionable alterations...
  9. R

    Birmingham retail units: is my 50-day figure distorted by stale listings?

    I wouldn’t discard the citywide number completely. It can serve as a rough comparison: if both chosen areas behave similarly to each other but differently from Birmingham overall, that is useful. It just shouldn’t replace the neighbourhood-level work.
  10. R

    Lower fee or fuller service for a £1.018m Manchester townhouse?

    Start by putting every quote on the same basis: the total fee at your expected price, what triggers payment, and every excluded or separately charged item. Then ask each agent to describe the path from enquiry to completion, naming who handles viewings, buyer qualification, offers, negotiation...
  11. R

    Valuation check: 1,450 sq ft townhouse in Birmingham at £179,400

    If £179,400 is too high, the weak evidence behind the valuation could leave me paying for features the townhouse does not really have. It is a five-bedroom Birmingham property of about 1,450 sq ft in average condition, with good natural light and location but dated finishes and uncertain...
  12. R

    First-time buyer in Manchester: how much cash should remain after completion?

    The survey wording matters. Findings often need separating into three groups: urgent before moving in, work within the first year, and cosmetic or longer-term items. Only the first group should drive your immediate-repair allocation. A bed, table and basic seating are enough initially; the rest...
  13. R

    Valuation check: 860 sq ft Birmingham apartment asking £366,600 (5 bed)

    Thanks, this confirms that I’m missing too much to justify a narrow figure. I don’t yet have enough detail on the lease, service charges, insurance position or how closely the completed sale matches the exact micro-location. I’m going back for those, plus the full floor plan and clarity on...
  14. R

    Valuation check: 860 sq ft Birmingham apartment asking £366,600 (5 bed)

    I can either lean on three current asking listings or give heavy weight to a single completed comparable, and neither option feels reliable on its own. The property is a five-bedroom Birmingham apartment of roughly 860 sq ft, in average condition, with an asking price of £366,600. It has good...
Back
Top