Recent content by rhea_dawn

  1. R

    Mortgage quote in South Africa: 4.87% fixed for 3 years?

    Given the possible move, I’d compare total cash paid up to your most likely exit date, including arrangement fees and any early-repayment cost. APR can be less useful if its assumptions do not match how long you expect to keep the loan. Are the fees payable upfront or added to the balance...
  2. R

    Johannesburg property Q&A: pricing, finance and transaction surprises

    I’d add a caveat: lower monthly charges do not automatically make the cheaper-running unit the better deal. The documents behind the figures matter. Who supplies those records, who verifies them, and does anyone recommending a particular finance route have a conflict to disclose? I’d want those...
  3. R

    How much of ZAR 782,600 should stay untouched after buying?

    That distinction matters. If any closing estimate can still move, I would not allocate the full ZAR 782,600 yet. Keep a temporary completion bucket until the transaction, first payment and initial service charges have all cleared. Only then divide the true remainder between emergencies and...
  4. R

    How much of ZAR 782,600 should stay untouched after buying?

    I would work backwards rather than split it into neat percentages. First ring-fence a household emergency fund that remains untouched after the move. Then reserve known costs: moving, first mortgage payment, service charges and insurance excess. Inspection items that affect safety or prevent...
Back
Top