Toronto first-time buyer: is C$56,700 enough cash left after closing?

kai_trades

First-time buyer
Established
C$56,700 is the amount expected to remain after the deposit and current closing-cost estimate on a C$749,200, 2-bed Toronto villa. It looks substantial as a single figure, but less so once the inspection and move are brought into it.

I still need to allow for the first mortgage payment, moving costs, an insurance deductible, essential repairs and basic furnishings. I am inclined to protect a household reserve first and postpone most furniture, but I do not yet know whether the inspection will turn an ordinary maintenance allowance into a major expense.

What figures would you confirm before deciding that this purchase is comfortably affordable? I would prefer a lower price if the C$56,700 only works when every estimate goes perfectly.
 
I wouldn’t treat the C$56,700 as one available pot. First ring-fence an emergency fund based on several months of essential spending, including the mortgage and any service charges. Then reserve money for moving and inspection-priority repairs. Furniture comes last: a bed, table and basic seating are enough initially. A mostly empty home is inconvenient; no emergency cash is dangerous.
 
What is actually included in your closing-cost estimate? Also, have you allowed for the first mortgage payment, insurance excess or deductible, and any recurring service charges attached to the villa? Those missing facts matter more than the headline balance. I’d also want the inspection before deciding how much of the remainder can safely become a furniture budget.
 
That helps. The C$56,700 is after the deposit and my current closing estimate, but I haven’t separated moving, furniture or the first mortgage payment into their own lines. I also need to confirm whether there are service charges rather than assume there aren’t. The inspection is still pending, so I’m going to stop mentally spending the remainder until I have that report.
 
Passing on a manageable property because the reserve target was set too mechanically has a cost too. Several months of all spending may be sensible for one buyer and excessive for another, depending on essential monthly outgoings, income stability and existing commitments.

I would still keep repair money separate from the general emergency fund. Once the inspection arrives, divide its findings into safety or active damage, work likely to be needed soon, and cosmetic or monitoring items. The first group could change whether the purchase proceeds; the others may simply affect the offer or the timetable. Real contractor estimates for significant items would matter more than attaching a guessed cost to every note.
 
Furniture is the easiest category to delay. Make a room-by-room list with three columns: needed on day one, useful within six months, and optional. Don’t buy for the imagined finished version of the home before living there. Moving costs are different because they arrive on a fixed date, so get an actual estimate rather than using a vague allowance.
 
When the inspection arrives, ask for clarification on anything affecting safety, water entry, heating or the building envelope, then seek real repair estimates where needed. Don’t assign your own cost to every line in the report. Some notes may just require monitoring, while one apparently ordinary issue could consume a meaningful part of the buffer.
 
A simple stress test might settle the nerves. Start with C$56,700, subtract the emergency amount you refuse to touch, moving costs, the first mortgage payment, insurance excess, any confirmed service charges and the urgent repair allowance. If the remaining figure is still comfortable with furniture set near zero, the purchase is less stretched. If it only works when every estimate is optimistic, buying below C$749,200 is the safer choice.
 
The emotional swing is normal when a large decision becomes specific, but use it to slow down rather than abandon the idea or rush through it. Set your minimum post-closing cash balance before seeing the inspection results. Then the decision becomes mechanical: if confirmed costs would take you below that line, renegotiate, choose a cheaper property or walk away.
 
Back
Top