Offering 3% below asking on student housing in Bengaluru — sensible or too aggressive?

Before we decide whether to offer, we need to balance a credible discount against keeping the protections that matter. The Bengaluru student-housing property is listed at ₹43,420,000, has been on the market for 64 days and requires updating. Similar active listings support the general range, but the completed-sale evidence is too thin for us to judge the likely agreed value confidently.

We have solid financing and can accommodate the seller on completion. Opening 3% lower would put us at ₹42,117,400. Would you justify that briefly by reference to condition and the limited sales evidence, or first try to establish the seller’s reason for selling? We do not want to trade away inspection, finance or valuation protection merely to make the price more attractive.
 
Three per cent is not inherently aggressive. Present the figure once, tie it to the condition and limited completed-sale evidence, and emphasise the financing proof and flexible completion date. I would give a clear but reasonable response deadline rather than trying to pressure them with an expiry later the same day.
 
Is this being sold as operating student accommodation, with occupants or an income arrangement, or simply as a vacant property intended for students? That missing detail affects both valuation and what information you need before deciding that 3% is enough.
 
I would not waive inspection, title-related due diligence or a financing condition just to make the offer look clean. Solid financing does not eliminate valuation risk. If the lender values it below the agreed price, decide in advance whether you will cover any gap and cap that exposure in writing.
 
The caveat is that 64 days alone says little about seller motivation. They may be patient rather than overpriced. I would avoid a long argument about why their property is worth less; a concise offer with credible terms often lands better than a detailed critique of every outdated feature.
 
Also separate the opening discount from later repair requests. If the 3% already assumes obvious cosmetic updating, do not seek another credit for the same items. Reserve inspection discussions for material issues that were not apparent when you offered.
 
I need the conditions to remain, even if the rest of the offer is easy for the seller to work with. By “clean” I meant clear financing evidence and flexibility over completion, not an unconditional purchase.

I’ll confirm first whether the sale includes occupants, income, furnishings or a management agreement. The initial price can then reflect visible condition and the weak completed-sale evidence, while any later inspection discussion will be limited to material problems that were not already apparent.
 
If any leases or management arrangement come with it, request the relevant terms, current occupancy information, operating costs and details of what furnishings are included. Otherwise you could negotiate 3% off the real estate while overlooking obligations or replacement costs that matter more.
 
On the appraisal gap, proof that you can borrow is not proof that the property will support this particular price. Ask the lender what happens if its valuation is lower, and make sure the purchase wording reflects the amount you are actually prepared to fund yourself.
 
Agreed, and I would have the finance condition tailored to the actual lender process rather than relying on vague language. Deposit treatment should align with it too. The exact drafting and enforceability are local matters, so this is where a Bengaluru conveyancing adviser should be involved.
 
You can test motivation through terms without asking the seller to reveal it. Offer flexibility on completion and invite them to identify a preferred date. If timing matters to them, that may be more valuable than squeezing the price difference.
 
I would not present multiple price-and-date packages unless the seller asks. It can make a straightforward 3% offer look like a negotiation exercise. Submit one strong combination: ₹42,117,400, financing evidence, flexible completion within your limits, and clearly stated conditions.
 
What response deadline are you considering? It should be long enough for the seller to consider the financing evidence and completion flexibility, but not so open-ended that your offer is used indefinitely to attract another buyer. Account for weekends and any adviser review.
 
One more point on comparables: nearby asking prices only show what other sellers hope to receive. Ask the agents supporting those figures whether they can identify genuinely completed transactions with similar use, condition and included arrangements. If they cannot, keep your rationale modest rather than claiming precise market value.
 
Even good completed comparables may not persuade this seller, especially if the properties differ operationally. That is fine. The aim is to support a credible opening, not win an appraisal debate. Expect a counter and decide your maximum before it arrives.
 
Deposit exposure deserves its own decision. Before transferring anything, make sure the agreement states when the deposit is paid, who holds it, and what happens if an agreed inspection, financing or title condition is not satisfied. Do not assume a failed condition automatically produces the outcome you expect.
 
I would structure the offer in this order: exact price, financing evidence, proposed completion flexibility, included items, inspection and finance conditions, deposit terms, then the response deadline. Keep the explanation to a few sentences. The orderly terms will communicate seriousness better than repeatedly calling the offer “clean.”
 
Yes—clean should mean organised, not unconditional. The seller may prefer fewer uncertainties, but that does not require the buyer to absorb unknown structural, legal or valuation problems. If they insist that 3% below asking must also come without meaningful protection, the apparent discount may not compensate for the added risk.
 
Set two limits before submitting: the highest total price you will pay and the largest appraisal gap you could comfortably cover. Include known updating costs when setting the first one. That prevents a small seller counter from pulling you above the budget you originally considered sensible.
 
And if inspection later reveals a material defect, ask for a remedy tied to that specific finding rather than reopening the whole 3% negotiation. A price adjustment, repair credit or decision to withdraw can then be considered against the agreement and the actual evidence, not used as a second general discount.
 
Back
Top