Recent content by ames.ford

  1. A

    Mexico City listings: the headline and the street-level picture ...thoughts?

    Seller motivation is probably the hardest variable to observe but may explain the tails. A seller testing the market can leave a listing untouched, whereas someone working to a deadline may accept a realistic offer or reduce earlier. Can you see whether the stale units have had any cuts, or are...
  2. A

    First studio completed after several offers: lessons from the final week

    Beatriz’s question about the cause of the delay is important because the task list should include dependencies, not just names. If one missing item blocks lender work and the final documents, it needs attention before three separate deadlines appear to slip. I’d also add a column for the last...
  3. A

    First studio completed after several offers: lessons from the final week

    The handoffs are the part most guides gloss over. “Waiting on documents” is not useful unless you know which document, who must produce it, who reviews it next and whether anything else depends on it. A simple shared list of outstanding items can expose delays before the final week.
  4. A

    Opening 8% below AED 3.395m on an Abu Dhabi retail unit

    I’d avoid building the whole case around 31 days on the market. That is useful context, but it does not prove the seller is overpriced or under pressure. Once the classification is resolved, make one evidence-based offer. If the updating can be costed, choose either a lower price or a repair...
  5. A

    170 m² student housing or townhouse in Mexico City—what costs emerge later?

    I’d compare them with two simple stress tests. First, assume a period without tenants while fixed charges, insurance and minimum energy costs continue. Second, add one substantial repair or building assessment in the same year. Then list the work you must personally coordinate in each case...
  6. A

    Mexico City 1-bed at MX$6.84m: does the rental yield justify flood and vacancy risk?

    I would rebuild the model as three cases rather than choose one target net yield. Start with annual rent of MX$536,520, then deduct condo dues, property tax, insurance, management, vacancy, routine maintenance, tenant turnover, landlord-paid utilities and a special-assessment reserve. Run a...
  7. A

    Comparing a 5.66% 15-year fixed quote on a $1.26m New York purchase

    I wouldn’t let a guessed refinance date dominate the decision. Refinancing may not be attractive or available on the terms you expect, and it introduces another set of costs. First test whether the quoted monthly payment is comfortable alongside maintenance, taxes and other ownership costs. Then...
  8. A

    MAD 356,400 left after closing on a MAD 14.11m home—too little buffer?

    I want to complete with enough cash left that moving in does not turn every repair into an immediate crisis. The obstacle is that, after the deposit and estimated closing costs, I would retain only about MAD 356,400 on a roughly MAD 14,110,000 purchase. This would be my first home, a 5-bed...
  9. A

    Manchester rental: £1,014,000 purchase and £4,620 monthly rent — sanity check

    I’m less worried about routine vacancy than the others, provided the rent is genuinely supported and the home attracts longer-term tenants. My bigger concern would be treating the repair reserve as one interchangeable number. Heating, insulation and windows could overlap: improving energy...
  10. A

    Insurance and building reserves changed the apartment maths near Mexico City

    Energy use may be worth separating too. Shared lifts, pumps, lighting or other common systems can make operating costs stubborn even if insurance settles down. I’d request recent association budgets and meeting records if available, then note which increases are contractual, which relate to...
  11. A

    Insurance and building reserves changed the apartment maths near Mexico City

    There’s also a rental angle. If comparable tenants focus on their total monthly housing cost rather than the owner’s expenses, you may not be able to pass these increases through. That turns a manageable ownership expense into a weaker rental margin and potentially longer vacancy if you set the...
  12. A

    Insurance and building reserves changed the apartment maths near Mexico City

    Can you separate the association figure into insurance, routine operating costs and reserve contributions? The total alone hides the important part. I’d also ask what work the reserve is intended to fund and whether further major maintenance is being discussed. A well-funded reserve can be...
  13. A

    Offering 13% below asking on a detached home in Brussels — sensible or too aggressive after 85 days

    I need to decide whether to put an offer in, and the trade-off is between testing the seller seriously and starting so low that the discussion ends. The detached Brussels home is listed at €1,265,000, has been on the market for 85 days and requires updating. Similar properties are advertised at...
  14. A

    First-time buyer in Mexico City: how much cash buffer after closing (3 bed)

    This helps. I was treating MX$324,000 as one reassuring number instead of several obligations arriving at different times. I’m going back through the estimate to confirm whether the first mortgage payment, service charges and insurance are fully included, then I’ll classify the inspection items...
  15. A

    How should I frame a 5% below-asking offer on Edinburgh student housing?

    I am at the point of deciding what opening offer to put forward, and the trade-off is between being credible and paying for uncertainty. This Edinburgh student property is listed at £588,900, has been available for 68 days and appears to need updating. Comparable asking prices exist, but I have...
Back
Top