How should I frame a 5% below-asking offer on Edinburgh student housing?

ames.ford

First-time buyer
I am at the point of deciding what opening offer to put forward, and the trade-off is between being credible and paying for uncertainty. This Edinburgh student property is listed at £588,900, has been available for 68 days and appears to need updating. Comparable asking prices exist, but I have found too few completed transactions to support a confident valuation.

An opening figure 5% lower would be £559,455. I can provide evidence of financing and accommodate the seller on completion, but I would still require satisfactory survey, valuation and legal checks.

How would you present the offer without turning it into a catalogue of faults? I can walk away if the seller will not engage, particularly if the maintenance position or valuation remains unclear.
 
Five per cent below does not sound inherently aggressive after 68 days. Present it as a clean, considered figure rather than a list of criticisms: proof of financing, flexible completion and a short but reasonable response deadline. I would keep the offer subject to satisfactory survey, valuation and legal work. Those protections matter more than making the offer look exceptionally clean.
 
What does “student housing” mean here: a vacant property intended for students, or an operating property with tenants and management arrangements already in place? That changes what information is missing. I would want clarity on current tenancies, maintenance history, recurring costs and any permissions or conditions relevant to its present use before deciding whether 5% is enough.
 
I would also be cautious about relying on repair credits. If the updating is obvious now, reflect the known work in the initial price. If a survey uncovers something materially different, renegotiate then. A credit does not solve a low lender valuation or an appraisal gap, and the acceptable form of any adjustment should be discussed with the solicitor and lender.
 
Sixty-eight days gives you a reason to test the seller, but it does not prove urgency. Ask the agent whether the seller values price, timing or certainty most, and whether previous interest failed over condition or financing. That answer may make your flexible completion more valuable than a slightly higher bid. Set a response deadline, but avoid one so abrupt that it looks theatrical.
 
The protections I would resist waiving are the survey, lender valuation or financing condition, and satisfactory legal investigation. For student housing, the solicitor should also establish exactly what transfers with the property and whether any tenancy, deposit, management or maintenance obligations remain.

Decide in advance how much valuation shortfall you could fund, if any. Also ask the solicitor when your own deposit or other money could become exposed under the proposed terms; that is jurisdiction- and contract-specific, so the offer wording matters.
 
Yuki’s distinction is the key missing fact. I would send £559,455 with financing evidence, flexible timing and the normal protections, while asking for the tenancy and maintenance information promptly. Separately calculate a walk-away figure that includes updating costs and any valuation shortfall—not just the purchase price. If the seller counters, you can then trade price for information or certainty rather than bidding against yourself.
 
Back
Top