Recent content by DirectCairn

  1. D

    Buy at 6.15% now or wait and risk stronger competition?

    Agreed. I’d put three versions side by side: buy now and keep the current loan, buy now and refinance later, or wait and pay more for the property despite a lower rate. Include arrangement fees, any early-repayment cost and whether the loan is portable under the local terms. Then compare monthly...
  2. D

    Buy at 6.15% now or wait and risk stronger competition?

    I’d decide on the basis that refinancing never becomes attractive. If the purchase still works at 6.15%, including arrangement fees and a realistic ownership period, then a later rate reduction is a bonus. Also test whether you could handle the reset rate moving against you rather than down...
  3. D

    Joining from Marrakech and comparing townhouse prices

    A practical first post on the Morocco board could be one anonymised townhouse example with its area, condition, asking price and the costs you are unsure about. Members can then challenge the comparables and point out missing items. That will probably teach you more than collecting a large set...
  4. D

    Buyer withdrew over financing—what should I change before relisting at £811,200?

    That sequence also gives buyers a credible answer: the previous buyer’s financing failed, the inspection did not cause the withdrawal, and the property is ready to proceed again. No need to discount automatically or conceal the history—just resolve the valuation question before choosing the price.
  5. D

    Idealista for a London apartment search from Warsaw: discovery tool or reliable shortlist?

    I’d add dependable map accuracy and filters that remain applied on mobile. Without those, even fresh listings can enter the wrong shortlist.
  6. D

    Contingency for a £127,800 renovation of a 2,580 sq ft Edinburgh retail unit

    I’d finish by putting the unknowns into a simple register: issue, investigation, person responsible, decision date, cost allowance and programme effect. Electrical condition, plumbing routes, moisture, possible structural alterations, approvals and long-lead materials would each get a row. That...
  7. D

    Rent increase versus tenant retention for a townhouse in Manchester? (4 bed)

    And put any agreement in writing after the discussion, with the new amount and effective date stated unambiguously. Do not leave a friendly verbal conversation as the only record. That protects the relationship by reducing the chance of different recollections later.
  8. D

    Rent increase versus tenant retention for a townhouse in Manchester? (4 bed)

    I would also ask whether they want to remain for the foreseeable future. If they are already planning to leave, a retention discount achieves little. If they want stability, there may be room for an agreed figure that gives both sides more predictability, subject to the tenancy terms.
  9. D

    Buyer withdrew over financing—what should I change before relisting at £811,200?

    The agent’s incentives are worth remembering too. They may favour the offer most likely to be accepted or the price easiest to market, but you need the underlying facts. Ask for the offer comparisons and completed-sale reasoning in writing so you can make the trade-off yourself.
  10. D

    Rent increase versus tenant retention for a townhouse in Manchester? (4 bed)

    My opening wording would be: “I’m reviewing the rent and would like to discuss an increase from £2,142. Similar homes are being advertised nearer £2,578, but I value your payment and care record and am not proposing that full amount.” Then state one figure and a realistic date.
  11. D

    Rent increase versus tenant retention for a townhouse in Manchester? (4 bed)

    Bruno’s distinction is sensible. Transparency does not require sharing private finances. I would explain that £2,578 is the apparent asking level, that you recognise this tenant’s record, and that your lower proposal reflects retention. That is enough reasoning for a respectful conversation.
  12. D

    Buyer withdrew over financing—what should I change before relisting at £811,200?

    I’d give the agent three questions before authorising the relaunch: Was there any lender valuation issue? Which completed sales support the proposed price? What stronger evidence will be requested from the next buyer? Those answers should determine whether anything actually needs changing.
  13. D

    London property meetup — July 2026

    I agree that the date should come first. Perhaps offer two or three July options and ask people to choose, along with evening versus weekend. Before confirming the venue, it would also help to state whether attendance will be free or whether there may be a room charge. Please check step-free...
  14. D

    Idealista for a London apartment search from Warsaw: discovery tool or reliable shortlist?

    That may eliminate potentially suitable apartments too early. A separate “location pending” queue keeps them visible without granting full-shortlist status.
  15. D

    Rent increase versus tenant retention for a townhouse in Manchester? (4 bed)

    I would value the known tenant rather than chase the full asking figure. A move to somewhere around £2,300–£2,350 would narrow the gap without presenting them with a £436 monthly jump. Explain the comparison evidence, give them time to consider it and invite a discussion rather than delivering...
Back
Top