Buy at 6.15% now or wait and risk stronger competition?

field.full

Buyer
Established
I’m considering a property at COP 4,162,000,000 with financing at 6.15%. I can afford the monthly cost today, but waiting for a lower rate could mean competing with more buyers before local inventory improves.

How would you stress-test this decision without assuming both cheaper finance and stable prices? I’m particularly concerned about refinance assumptions, resale risk and what happens if the rate resets. If you faced the opposite choice at roughly this price, what tipped you?
 
I’d decide on the basis that refinancing never becomes attractive. If the purchase still works at 6.15%, including arrangement fees and a realistic ownership period, then a later rate reduction is a bonus. Also test whether you could handle the reset rate moving against you rather than down. Waiting exchanges a known payment for two unknowns: rates and the property price.
 
What loan-to-value would you have at purchase, and is 6.15% fixed for the whole term or only an initial period? Those details could matter more than the headline rate. A lower future rate may not help much if the property value falls and your loan-to-value prevents refinancing on good terms.
 
I’d also push back slightly on the idea that lower rates must raise prices enough to cancel the saving. More buyers may return, but sellers and inventory can respond too. The relevant comparison period is your likely purchase window, not an indefinite wait for the perfect rate. The danger is building the decision around one expected market reaction.
 
Agreed. I’d put three versions side by side: buy now and keep the current loan, buy now and refinance later, or wait and pay more for the property despite a lower rate. Include arrangement fees, any early-repayment cost and whether the loan is portable under the local terms. Then compare monthly affordability and the cash needed in each case. If only the optimistic refinance version works, that would be my reason not to proceed yet.
 
Back
Top