The reserve position could decide this more than the purchase price. A condo with low monthly costs can become expensive if major shared work is looming; equally, a new build is not automatically low-maintenance once defects, utilities and insurance are considered.
I’d compare the same items...
One caveat to my previous point: don’t let the lower required payment define “affordable.” Compare the payment at 4.68% with a higher-payment scenario and leave room for Toronto ownership costs outside the mortgage. Flexibility has little value if the regular payment already leaves no cushion.
I wouldn’t make total interest the deciding figure. A longer repayment schedule can show more interest while still giving you a manageable required payment. The better question is what flexibility costs: how much can be repaid early, how any charge is calculated, and whether portability is...
Keep the maintenance discussion separate from the rent discussion. Required or sensible work should not sound conditional on the tenant accepting an increase. Make a list of completed, scheduled and still-unpriced jobs, then give the tenant realistic timing. A long list is less alarming when...
That separation makes sense. My unresolved issue is the offer deadline: a detailed report delivered after I must act has limited value. I’m going to ask for the initial response time, final-report date and the fallback if local comparable evidence is thin. I’ll also ask who retrieves planning...
I’m trying to decide whether to buy a standalone valuation or pay for a broader service on a country home priced around C$1,377,000. The descriptions I’ve received are frustratingly vague: “valuation” can mean a figure and an introduction, or it can extend to negotiation and document...