The lender has quoted 4.68% on a Toronto purchase of about C$283,500, but I am hesitant because the lower advertised offer did not survive the fee and loan-to-value assessment. The paperwork also refers to 30 years, and I need to confirm whether that describes the amortization or the actual fixed-rate period.
How would you put competing offers on the same basis? I am considering the fees paid upfront, payments and interest before the first likely renewal or move, and the mortgage balance at that point. Portability and early-repayment conditions also matter because a slightly cheaper rate may be poor value if changing property or reducing the balance triggers a large charge.
How would you put competing offers on the same basis? I am considering the fees paid upfront, payments and interest before the first likely renewal or move, and the mortgage balance at that point. Portability and early-repayment conditions also matter because a slightly cheaper rate may be poor value if changing property or reducing the balance triggers a large charge.