Freja’s point also applies to moving coordination. Losing an offer is frustrating, but committing to movers or deliveries before completion can create a second problem if the schedule shifts. Did others leave a buffer between completion and the actual move, or was that impractical?
Also, how much did the inspection influence the reserve you kept? With a coastal home, I would want the reserve tied to actual findings and near-term maintenance rather than just a comfortable round number.
That completion is not the point where the spending stops. People naturally focus on assembling the purchase funds, then moving costs, small repairs and basic replacements arrive together. A reserve after closing gives you choices instead of forcing every decision onto a card or into a rushed...
Make two five-year cash-flow sheets rather than one annual estimate. Include routine maintenance, insurance, energy during vacancies, letting or management workload, and a separate allowance for irregular work. For the townhouse, record any shared contribution and what it actually covers; for...
Agreed with Daan. A rejection should refine the search, not automatically raise the budget.
I would also split the available cash into four lines before making another offer: purchase funds, known closing costs, moving costs and an untouched repair reserve. That makes Adrian’s lesson actionable...
Furniture is the easiest category to slow down. Move with what you already have, furnish the rooms you use first and wait before buying for the whole 3-bed. Living there for a while may also change what you think each room needs.
A shared list helps, but it can also create false comfort if the dates are assumptions. Lender timing is the obvious example: “submitted” is not the same as “finished.” I would separate each item into sent, received, accepted and complete, then ask what could still prevent the scheduled closing...
I agree that completed sales are the missing comparison, but I wouldn’t discard the snapshot entirely; it can still show direction if each monthly update uses the same method. I’d publish separate rows for studios and any wider property sample, then split new listings, available inventory...
The gross calculation is right: €4,159 × 12 is €49,908, or about 8.4% of €593,400. I would not guess the service-charge impact, though. Ask for the actual annual charges, what they cover, any planned common works and recent repair history. Also obtain the real insurance and property-tax bills...
Potentially interesting, but is the 145 m² figure already verified or still only an estimate? It would also help to know the energy-performance information and whether parking is included or separately arranged. Are there any recurring service charges?
On contingencies, I would not drop inspection protection merely to make a low offer look cleaner. Financing proof can strengthen the bid without giving up financing protection. Also decide in advance what happens if the lender’s valuation is below the agreed price: how much appraisal gap, if...
Ask, but expect a guarded answer. Useful questions are whether the seller has rejected earlier offers, whether timing matters more than price, and whether another bid actually exists. Still, 106 days alone does not prove the seller is motivated; they may simply be anchored to their asking price...
I’m considering a 115 m² apartment in Amsterdam, but the owners’ association reserve looks thin and major exterior work is under discussion. Nothing has been approved yet, although owners have mentioned possible contributions as high as €19,320.
I’m reviewing the meeting minutes, insurance...
Check what the building insurance covers and what excess or exclusions could fall back on owners. That will not replace an inspection, but it changes the size of the risk you retain.