How would you price the risk of a future HOA special assessment?

sunny_pine

Homeowner
Established
I’m considering a 115 m² apartment in Amsterdam, but the owners’ association reserve looks thin and major exterior work is under discussion. Nothing has been approved yet, although owners have mentioned possible contributions as high as €19,320.

I’m reviewing the meeting minutes, insurance, reserve balance and maintenance plan. What else would you verify first to distinguish routine long-term planning from a realistic near-term assessment? In particular, I’m wondering how to judge whether the maintenance plan is properly funded, whether insurance could leave relevant work uncovered, and how this uncertainty might affect resale liquidity.

Would you treat the full €19,320 as an expected purchase cost, negotiate for it, or walk away until the scope and owners’ vote are clearer? Feel free to challenge my premise, but please say which document or fact would drive your decision.
 
Back
Top