Buyer withdrew over financing—what should I change before relisting at £811,200?

watchTheSlate

Real estate agent
At £811,200, our London sale has collapsed. The purchaser’s funding did not proceed, while the inspection was not the reason for withdrawal, but future viewers will still ask why the property returned to market.

Should we refresh the conveyancing papers and relist at once, or first establish whether the lender had concerns about the valuation? On the next round, I would consider a slightly lower offer backed by clearer financing evidence rather than automatically choosing the highest bid. I am also trying to distinguish the actual England process from optional demands involving response dates, deposits and repair credits.
 
I would refresh the documents quickly, then relist rather than leave an unexplained gap. Tell viewers simply that the buyer’s financing failed, not that the property failed inspection. For the next offer, weigh funding evidence and chain position alongside price instead of automatically choosing the highest number.
 
Do you know whether the lender declined the buyer personally or valued the property below £811,200? Those are different signals. The former says little about your price; the latter makes completed comparables much more important before you relaunch.
 
I would ask the agent for completed comparables that genuinely match the property’s location, condition and tenure, rather than nearby asking prices. If those support £811,200, cutting immediately could look unnecessarily anxious. If they do not, the failed financing may have exposed a pricing problem.
 
Because the property is in London, the England process is the relevant one; “United Kingdom” is too broad for every legal detail. Before exchange, a buyer can generally withdraw, while deposit consequences usually become materially different at exchange. Your conveyancer should explain the position for this transaction.
 
Proof of funds also needs unpacking. An agreement in principle, evidence of deposit and evidence of cash are not interchangeable, and none guarantees the lender’s final decision. I’d ask the agent to record what proportion depends on borrowing and whether the buyer must sell another property.
 
I disagree with favouring a lower offer by default. A lower bid can still come from a poorly prepared borrower. Make the comparison concrete: price, borrowing dependence, chain, proposed timetable and willingness to answer financial questions promptly.
 
Relist promptly, but only once everyone can respond without delay. Returning to market and then taking days to send routine information creates more suspicion than the original failed financing. A tidy relaunch matters more than pretending the first sale never existed.
 
Be ready with one consistent sentence about why it returned. Don’t speculate about the buyer’s finances or imply lender approval was certain. If someone asks whether the inspection found anything, answer accurately and let the available property information speak for itself.
 
Following my earlier question, ask specifically whether there was a valuation shortfall—the UK equivalent of the appraisal-gap issue people often mean—or an affordability/underwriting failure. Only the first gives you a direct reason to reconsider £811,200.
 
I’d also set a response deadline when inviting offers, but not an artificial rush. It should give the agent enough time to verify the buyer’s position. A quick offer with vague financing can cost far more time than waiting briefly for a documented one.
 
Deposit exposure is often misunderstood here. Money shown as available for a deposit is not necessarily money the seller can keep if the buyer leaves before exchange. Ask the conveyancer when any deposit becomes contractually committed rather than relying on informal language from negotiations.
 
Since the inspection was not the problem, I would avoid volunteering repair credits merely to make the relisting look attractive. That risks suggesting a defect nobody raised. If a future survey identifies something, deal with the actual finding through price, repair or refusal then.
 
Seller motivation changes the answer. If certainty matters most, you can prefer a cleaner offer even when it is lower. If maximising price matters more and you can tolerate another delay, £811,200 may remain defensible—but only if the completed evidence supports it.
 
A simple offer comparison sheet would help: amount offered, cash contribution, borrowing required, chain status, financial evidence received and proposed exchange timing. That keeps “strong buyer” from becoming a vague impression supplied by whoever bids most confidently.
 
There is also a holding-cost trade-off. A modest reduction that produces a genuinely stronger transaction may be rational, but it should be compared with the cost and inconvenience of more marketing time—not treated as a punishment because the first buyer failed.
 
Before choosing a new price, I’d request the agent’s written account of the failed transaction: what financing evidence was seen initially, what changed, and when warning signs appeared. The useful lesson may be in the screening process rather than the listing price.
 
Thanks. At present, all I can safely say is that the buyer could not satisfy financing; I do not have a clear answer on whether a lender valuation contributed. I’ll get that distinction from the agent before changing £811,200, and ask the conveyancer to refresh anything that could delay a new buyer.
 
That is the sensible order. Until you know whether value or borrower affordability failed, a price cut is guesswork. In the meantime, prepare the relisting explanation and make sure the agent does not describe the inspection as the cause.
 
I’d keep that explanation very short. Too much detail about refreshing documents, lender discussions and the previous timeline can sound defensive. “The prior buyer could not proceed with financing” answers the legitimate concern without turning their private circumstances into marketing material.
 
Back
Top