109 days comparing managers for a Mumbai villa—what should the scope include?

kit_reese

Homeowner
Established
I’ve spent 109 days comparing services for a Mumbai villa priced around ₹60,120,000 and still cannot compare them cleanly. Some firms call an introduction “property management”; others offer negotiation, document coordination and ongoing oversight.

I’m deciding between one firm covering the purchase and later management, or separate specialists for each phase. What should be written into the scope regarding response times, fees, local coordination and accountability from offer through closing? I’d particularly like to know what exclusions or warning signs people would look for in India.
 
I would separate the proposal into transaction work and post-closing management, even if one firm does both. For the purchase phase, require named responsibility for negotiation, document collection, deadline tracking and coordination with your independent lawyer. The ongoing section should define inspections, maintenance requests, bill handling and reporting.

Fees should be attached to specific tasks, with third-party costs and exclusions shown separately. “We coordinate everything” is not a usable scope.
 
Is the villa standalone or part of a society or managed development? That changes who holds records, approves work and confirms outstanding charges.

I’d also resist making the manager accountable for the legal conclusion on title. Coordination is useful, but the person collecting documents should not be treated as a substitute for independent legal scrutiny.
 
That distinction matters. I’d ask each candidate to complete the same two-page schedule: task, named contact, promised response window, fee, dependency and final deliverable. Give them a realistic example too—say a missing document close to an offer deadline—and ask who acts, who escalates it and who informs you.

Avoid a vague promise of “24/7 support.” Different deadlines are sensible for an urgent property issue, a routine update and a document request.
 
Also price the failure scenario, not just normal service. What money is due if the transaction stops, the coordinator becomes unavailable, or you terminate after the offer? The agreement should explain handover and provide access to the correspondence, document list, fee approvals and current status.

Before appointing anyone, ask for a sample report or checklist with private details removed, then verify legal and payment requirements independently in Mumbai. If they will not define deliverables before taking a broad upfront fee, keep a separate lawyer and local coordinator as the fallback.
 
Back
Top