135 m² small multifamily or similarly priced Mumbai coastal home?

I’m comparing a 135 m² small multifamily with a similarly priced coastal home in Mumbai. The multifamily looks easier to maintain day to day, while the coastal home offers more control but could bring larger, irregular costs.

My model includes vacancy, insurance, energy use and resale liquidity. What am I missing after year one—especially shared-building reserves, management workload and flood-related exposure?
 
Start with who pays when something outside the unit fails. For the multifamily, examine reserve contributions, planned common-area work and whether one vacant unit materially reduces total rent. For the coastal home, budget for exterior deterioration, drainage and any flood-related repairs that insurance may not fully address. I’d also compare tenant demand by unit size rather than treating the whole 135 m² as one rental proposition.
 
Is the multifamily one property under your control, or several units inside a shared building? That changes the comparison considerably. Also, will the coastal home be rented or occupied by you? Vacancy and management workload matter far more if both options are investments, whereas energy use and personal control may dominate if one is a residence.
 
I’m not convinced the multifamily is automatically simpler. Multiple tenants can mean more turnover, separate repair calls and greater management effort, even if major building work is shared. The coastal home may have fewer routine interactions but more expensive single events.

For resale, consider the likely buyer for each property and how specialised that buyer pool is. A projected resale value is less useful if selling requires a long wait.
 
Agreed—the useful comparison is routine friction versus irregular exposure, not simply “easy” versus “hard.” I’d request the multifamily’s reserve and maintenance history, list every responsibility retained by the owner, and model vacancies both separately and concurrently. For the coastal home, inspect drainage and the building exterior, then obtain property-specific insurance terms before committing. Run a high-cost year for each option rather than relying only on average annual expenses.
 
Back
Top