185 m² studio or mixed-use building in Helsinki: which loose ends matter most?

WideRoof

Property investor
Established
Choosing badly could leave me with an asset that is affordable on paper but difficult to manage or resell. The options are a 185 m² studio and a similarly priced mixed-use building in Helsinki, and neither has one obvious fatal flaw.

The studio seems to involve fewer day-to-day decisions, though its shared reserves and future building works could still create substantial costs. The mixed-use property may give me more say over maintenance, but I would carry the administration and uneven repair bills myself. I have estimates for vacancy, insurance and energy use. What should I investigate about tenant demand, reserve funding, management time and the likely buyer pool, especially for expenses that often emerge after the first year?
 
I’d separate predictable annual costs from low-frequency building costs. For the mixed-use property, inspect the likely timing and condition of the roof, exterior, heating, ventilation and drainage rather than relying on one general maintenance allowance. Also ask insurers how the actual mix of uses affects cover.

For the studio, examine what is shared, how future work is funded and whether current charges reflect realistic energy and maintenance costs. Simpler ownership does not necessarily mean lower exposure.
 
What does “studio” mean here: a residential one-bed/studio-style unit, a workspace, or an entire 185 m² premises? That changes the tenant pool and resale comparison considerably.

I also wouldn’t compare equal purchase prices without putting expected income, likely vacancy periods and management time beside them. A mixed-use building with several occupiers may diversify vacancy, but one difficult commercial space can be much harder to fill than a conventional home.
 
That’s a fair challenge. I’ve used “studio” too loosely, so confirming its permitted and practical use needs to come before the spreadsheet comparison. I also haven’t valued my own management time consistently.

My next pass will separate structural works, shared charges or reserves, unit-specific repairs, insurance by occupancy, and vacancy assumptions for each space. I’ll also compare the likely buyer pool rather than treating resale as a single percentage deduction.
 
The practical limit is whether you could absorb a bad year without having to sell. Your revised categories should make that much easier to test.

For the studio, combine a large shared contribution with higher unit costs. For the mixed-use building, assume a difficult space stays empty just as a major repair becomes necessary. Control over timing sounds useful until the full decision, paperwork and invoice sit with one owner. If both cases remain manageable, I would then let tenant demand and the depth of the resale market break the tie.
 
Back
Top