195 m² studio or similarly priced Oslo condo: what am I overlooking?

MiroShaw

Homeowner
I’m comparing a 195 m² studio with a similarly priced condo in Oslo. The studio appears simpler to maintain, while the condo seems to offer more control but potentially greater exposure to irregular costs.

I’m already modelling insurance, energy use, local supply, tenant demand and resale liquidity. What I’m struggling with is how to weigh shared-building reserves, vacancy risk and management workload. Which costs or complications tend to become visible only after the first year, and what would you put on a practical pre-purchase checklist?
 
At 195 m², I wouldn’t assume the studio is automatically the low-maintenance option. The open layout may be simple, but you still have a large area to heat, insure and keep in good condition.

For either property, compare what the regular building charges actually cover, the state of any shared reserves, planned major works and recent cost changes. Resale also deserves extra weight: a very large studio has a narrower potential audience than a more conventional layout.
 
Are “studio” and “condo” describing different ownership arrangements here, or mainly different layouts? That missing detail could reverse the comparison. I’d want the exact ownership structure, building responsibilities, heating arrangements and monthly shared costs for both before deciding which gives more control.
 
I disagree slightly with the idea that the condo necessarily exposes you to larger irregular costs. A shared building can spread some expenses, while a property where you carry more direct responsibility can produce a large bill with little warning. The important distinction is not the label but who pays for which part of the structure.

I’d also test vacancy assumptions. The 195 m² studio may appeal strongly to a specific tenant, but an unusual layout could take longer to re-let or resell.
 
That’s fair—I’ve used “studio” and “condo” too loosely. I don’t yet have a clean comparison of the ownership structures or a line-by-line account of what the shared charges cover. I’ll get those details before treating either option as more controllable.

The comments on size and layout are also changing my approach. I was equating fewer internal divisions with less maintenance, without giving enough weight to heating 195 m² or to the smaller pool of likely tenants and buyers.
 
Then I’d build two separate tables: one for the dwelling and one for the building. Under the dwelling, list energy, internal upkeep, insurance, likely vacancy time and layout flexibility. Under the building, list shared charges, reserve position, upcoming work, decision-making limits and what remains your direct responsibility.

Run each option through three awkward scenarios: an extended vacancy, a sharp energy-cost increase and a major building expense. You don’t need to predict which will happen; the exercise shows which property leaves you with risks you can actually tolerate. Any ownership or liability wording should be confirmed locally rather than inferred from the listing label.
 
Back
Top