205 m² country home or Warsaw retail unit: which ownership burden is worse?

kian_roofs

Landlord
Established
I’m choosing between a 205 m² country home and a similarly priced retail unit in Warsaw. The house appears simpler because I would control the whole property, while the retail unit could bring tenant income but may expose me to vacancy, shared-building reserves and larger irregular bills.

My model covers local supply, insurance, energy use, tenant demand, management workload and resale liquidity. What am I likely to miss after year one, and which option is more vulnerable to costs arriving in the wrong order?
 
The retail unit looks less predictable to me. A vacancy can coincide with service charges, repairs or a tenant changeover, so model the cost of holding it empty rather than only the occupied return. Also clarify what the building association covers and what falls directly on the unit owner.

For the country home, how far is it from Warsaw, and is it intended for your own use, long-term rental or occasional letting? That changes the maintenance and liquidity comparison.
 
I would not assume the house is simpler. At 205 m², energy use and upkeep can be substantial, and full control also means there is no shared reserve to absorb common work. On the other hand, the retail unit’s risk may be concentrated in one tenant and one location.

I’d compare three scenarios for each: normal use, a full year without income, and one major unplanned repair. Then list who handles inspections, utilities, security, tenant turnover and sale preparation. The better choice is probably the one whose bad-year workload and cash requirement you can tolerate, not the one with the tidier average forecast.
 
Back
Top