215 m² studio or similarly priced Johannesburg villa?

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
I keep changing my mind between a 215 m² studio and a similarly priced villa in Johannesburg. The studio appears easier to maintain, while the villa offers more control but potentially larger, irregular bills.

I have allowed for property tax, insurance, energy use and resale liquidity. I am less sure how to compare shared-building reserves, tenant demand, vacancy risk and the actual management workload after year one. Our adviser flagged the trade-off but stopped short of saying either option was a mistake. What would you put on a practical pre-purchase checklist?
 
At 215 m², I would challenge the assumption that the studio is automatically the simpler option. Its floor area could still mean substantial energy and interior-maintenance costs, plus exposure to shared-building decisions.

Ask for the building’s recent budgets, reserve position, planned work and insurance arrangements. For the villa, price likely irregular items such as the roof, drainage, boundary, garden and security upkeep. Then compare both under two uncomfortable scenarios: several vacant months and one major repair. Also ask your adviser exactly what was flagged; that missing detail could change the whole comparison.
 
Back
Top