The word “duplex” is now the part of this comparison giving me pause. I am looking at a 35 m² duplex in Manila and a detached home at roughly the same price, but the listing does not make the ownership or maintenance split clear.
The duplex could be simpler to manage and may attract steadier tenant demand. On the other hand, shared responsibility can become expensive if nobody has clearly agreed who handles the roof, exterior, drainage and access areas. The detached home offers control, but all insurance and irregular repair costs would sit with me.
I am going to confirm the title arrangement, shared-cost rules and any existing reserve before comparing vacancy and resale prospects. If those details are documented and demand is stronger, the duplex remains attractive. If they are vague, I would favour the detached home and keep my own repair fund. Are there any first-year costs that this comparison still misses?
The duplex could be simpler to manage and may attract steadier tenant demand. On the other hand, shared responsibility can become expensive if nobody has clearly agreed who handles the roof, exterior, drainage and access areas. The detached home offers control, but all insurance and irregular repair costs would sit with me.
I am going to confirm the title arrangement, shared-cost rules and any existing reserve before comparing vacancy and resale prospects. If those details are documented and demand is stronger, the duplex remains attractive. If they are vague, I would favour the detached home and keep my own repair fund. Are there any first-year costs that this comparison still misses?