40 m² coastal home or similarly priced Bengaluru new-build flat?

studyTheRoom

Homeowner
Established
After 42 days of comparing options, I am down to a 40 m² coastal home and a similarly priced new-build flat in Bengaluru. The coastal place looks simpler to maintain, while the flat appears to offer more control day to day but could bring larger, irregular shared-building costs.

I am modelling local supply, insurance, energy use, tenant demand, vacancy and resale liquidity. What tends to emerge only after the first year? I would appreciate a practical checklist because no single issue looks disastrous; it is the number of loose ends that concerns me.
 
For the flat, I would separate predictable monthly charges from occasional building-wide spending. Ask what is included, whether any reserve exists, what remains the individual owner's responsibility and how unsold units affect contributions. For the coastal home, assume every repair is yours even if there is no shared bill. Simpler administration does not necessarily mean lower maintenance.
 
The missing fact is how you plan to use each property. Is this a home, a long-term rental or somewhere you will leave vacant for periods? Tenant demand and management workload could reverse the result. Also, “coastal” covers very different markets; without comparing local contractors, insurance availability and resale activity, equal purchase prices do not mean equal risk.
 
I would build two calendars rather than one annual cost estimate: routine work by month, then plausible irregular items over several years. Include vacancy, travel or local management for the coastal property, snagging and common-area spending for the new build, plus the time needed to deal with each. That exposes whether the real constraint is cash flow or attention.
 
I disagree that the flat necessarily gives more control. You may control the interior, but shared systems, maintenance timing and collective spending are not solely your decisions. A small standalone home can offer more autonomy, although all failures land on one owner. I would ask both sellers for a clear boundary between private and shared responsibilities before comparing costs.
 
Insurance deserves more than a single line in the spreadsheet. Compare what the building arrangement covers with what you would still need for the flat, and separately investigate the coastal home's structure, contents and vacancy assumptions. Terms depend on the property and jurisdiction, so obtain comparable written quotes rather than assuming the lower-maintenance-looking option is easier to insure.

For resale, look at likely buyer groups. A compact Bengaluru flat and a 40 m² coastal home may attract different demand, making time to sell more important than an optimistic asking price.
 
Given the loose ends, I would now request the same five items for both: three-year ownership cash-flow scenarios, responsibility for major repairs, insurance quotations, a realistic vacancy case and evidence of comparable local resales. Then add a management-hours estimate. If one option only works when nothing unexpected happens, that is probably the answer—even if its headline costs look better.
 
Back
Top