£43,680 of inspection repairs: seller works, credit or lower price?

DirectCairn

Homeowner
Established
I have to respond soon, and any concession needs to be compatible with the lender while still leaving money to complete the work. The inspection concerns a 2,690 sq ft Birmingham studio and lists apparently manageable defects estimated at roughly £43,680.

The seller is willing to organise repairs. I would prefer contractor control myself, but a straight price reduction may lower the mortgage rather than provide repair cash, while a completion credit may not be acceptable to the lender. Which route would you raise first, assuming the defects do not prevent financing?

I’m also looking for completed Birmingham comparables in similar condition. Without those, it is difficult to tell whether the current price already reflects the work or whether the inspection supports a larger adjustment.
 
If you need the money to complete the work, a price reduction may be the least useful option: it lowers the borrowing requirement but does not necessarily put £43,680 in your account. I would first ask the lender and solicitor, in writing, how each arrangement would be treated. Then negotiate only within what the lender will accept.
 
What makes up the £43,680? There is a big difference between cosmetic work, items that may deteriorate, and defects affecting whether the lender will release funds. I would also confirm when your response is due and what inspection protection remains. The negotiating preference matters less if a deadline passes and your deposit or other costs become exposed.
 
Agreed on getting the breakdown. I would present three clearly priced options to the seller: seller completes specified work before completion; an accepted credit; or a reduction reflecting both the work and the risk of overruns. Quotes rather than one inspection estimate will make that discussion stronger. Do not assume the full £43,680 can simply be described as a concession without affecting the financing.
 
I would not automatically reject the seller doing the work. If some repairs are required before lending or insurance can proceed, waiting to take control afterward may not be possible. The compromise is a tightly defined scope, evidence from the contractor, access for inspection and a way to deal with incomplete work. Your solicitor would need to say what can actually be documented.
 
That compromise depends heavily on seller motivation. A seller facing another buyer may favour the fastest clean option, while one whose sale has been delayed by the same defects may be more flexible. Anna, has the seller supplied contractor details or only offered generally to “arrange the work”? The latter is too vague to value against a £43,680 request.
 
The 2,690 sq ft description is important because that is unusually large for something marketed as a studio, making ordinary studio comparisons potentially misleading. For completed sales, I would prioritise similar floor area, layout, tenure, building type and condition over the word “studio.” Also compare the adjusted price after repairs, not just the current agreed figure, or an appraisal gap could remain hidden.
 
Good point on the classification. I would send any completed-sale evidence to the lender only through the appropriate process rather than assuming it changes the valuation. Separately, ask the seller for proof behind the repair figure: itemised quotes, whether tax is included, timescales and which defects could uncover further work. That also reveals whether £43,680 is a realistic budget or merely the visible starting amount.
 
I disagree slightly with calling this manageable. £43,680 may be manageable relative to the purchase price, but without an itemised scope and contingency it is still substantial exposure. A credit equal to the estimate does not transfer the risk of hidden damage back to the seller. For any structural, electrical or water-related item, further specialist investigation before committing could be worth more than arguing over the form of concession.
 
Also separate the repair decision from deposit exposure. The key timing question is whether contracts have been exchanged and what the written agreement says about inspection findings, withdrawal and amendments. UK transactions can turn on the exact stage and wording, so I would ask the conveyancer what happens to the deposit and incurred costs under each choice before the response deadline.
 
One further distinction: a reduced price, a completion credit and money retained until work is finished are not economically identical. A retention might address incomplete work, but only if the lender and both sides accept the arrangement and the release terms are precise. I would not propose it casually; disputes over what counts as satisfactory completion could create another problem.
 
I’d favour buyer-controlled repairs, but that only works if the concession does not create a shortfall at completion. Before making a firm proposal, send the lender and conveyancer the itemised £43,680 estimate and ask how a reduced price, completion credit or agreed retention would affect mortgage funds, required cash and the valuation.

At the same time, confirm the response deadline and provide the seller with the defect schedule. The financing treatment and any deposit exposure are the hard-to-reverse parts; contractor choice can be negotiated once those are clear. Written answers should narrow the discussion to arrangements that can actually complete.
 
Back
Top