45 m² warehouse or similarly priced retail unit in Berlin?

avery.voss

Homeowner
I’m choosing between a 45 m² warehouse and a similarly priced retail unit in Berlin. The warehouse appears easier to maintain, while the retail unit gives more control over how the space is presented but could bring larger irregular bills.

My model covers maintenance, insurance, energy use and resale liquidity. I’m less sure how to compare shared-building reserves, vacancy risk, tenant demand and management workload. What should I examine before deciding, particularly costs that may only become obvious after the first year?
 
For the retail unit, I’d look beyond maintenance inside the premises. Ask what sits within the shared building, what reserves exist, and whether substantial common-area work is being discussed. Insurance responsibility and permitted tenant fit-outs also matter because alterations can complicate reletting.

For both options, model a long vacancy plus reletting costs rather than comparing only occupied-year expenses. A cheaper unit can become expensive if its likely tenant pool is narrow.
 
What does “warehouse” mean in this particular listing: storage space within a larger building, or a genuinely independent unit? That changes the comparison considerably. Access, loading practicality, heating expectations and shared charges could outweigh the difference in floor area or purchase price.

I’d also ask for actual energy and common-cost records rather than relying on the current description. A 45 m² space is small, but inefficient heating or building-wide costs do not always scale neatly with size.
 
I wouldn’t assume the warehouse is automatically simpler. A retail unit may have more visible wear and tenant turnover, but demand can be easier to judge if the location and frontage are clear. An awkward storage unit could be cheap to run yet difficult to let or resell.

Make two separate sheets: owner costs during occupancy and owner costs during vacancy. Then compare insurance scope, energy, shared reserves, likely fit-out or reinstatement work, access restrictions, tenant pool and realistic resale audience. Before choosing, inspect the building records and ask a Berlin-based adviser to confirm how each unit may actually be used.
 
Back
Top