480 sq ft studio or small multifamily in San Francisco: what gets expensive after year one?

eva.bloom

First-time buyer
I’ve spent 19 days comparing a 480 sq ft studio with a similarly priced small multifamily in San Francisco. The studio appears easier to maintain, while the multifamily offers more control but concentrates the risk of major, irregular repairs.

I’m modelling vacancy, insurance, energy use, tenant demand and resale liquidity. What I’m struggling to compare is the workload and the costs that only become obvious after the first year. I’d appreciate a practical checklist, especially because the answer seems to change depending on how the studio and building are held.
 
For the studio, examine the building’s reserves, recent shared expenses and which repairs are your responsibility rather than the building’s. Low maintenance inside 480 sq ft does not necessarily mean low ownership costs.

For the multifamily, budget time as well as money: more equipment, more tenant turnover, more utility accounts or shared energy use, and several repairs potentially arriving together. I would model one unusually expensive year, not just an average year.
 
The ownership structure is the missing fact. Is the studio a condominium or another form of shared ownership, and does the multifamily come vacant or with tenants? Those details could change your control over repairs, vacancy exposure and eventual buyer pool more than the square footage does.
 
More control is not always an advantage. The specific concern with the small multifamily is that every capital decision also brings the full bill and the work of arranging it.

The studio may restrict when or how building repairs happen, but shared ownership can distribute major costs. I would first confirm its ownership structure, reserve position, recent shared expenses and responsibility for each building system. Then check whether the multifamily is occupied, who pays utilities, what maintenance has been deferred and how much management several tenancies would require.

After that, model the same bad year for both options: a major repair combined with vacancy or turnover. Any local ownership and tenancy requirements should be checked against the actual properties before treating that model as reliable.
 
That distinction helps. I was treating “control” as entirely positive and not pricing the time needed to exercise it. I’ll separate the analysis into unit-level costs, shared-building obligations and whole-building capital work, then stress-test a major repair and a vacancy in the same year. I also need to confirm the studio’s holding structure and the multifamily’s occupancy before the comparison is meaningful.
 
Back
Top