The studio looks simpler. The duplex may be more resilient. I am not comfortable assuming either makes it the better Seattle purchase.
The studio is 590 sq ft and costs roughly the same as the duplex. Its interior should demand less attention, but shared-building charges and future common work could remove that advantage. With the duplex, I would have greater direct responsibility for the roof, exterior, services and repairs, as well as more tenant management.
I am comparing insurance, energy use, tenant demand, vacancy, resale liquidity and parcel-level flood exposure. If I occupy part of the duplex, control and vacancy affect me differently than if both units are rentals; if the studio’s building has weak reserves, its apparent simplicity is misleading. What documents and physical checks would you prioritise to uncover costs likely to appear after the first year?
The studio is 590 sq ft and costs roughly the same as the duplex. Its interior should demand less attention, but shared-building charges and future common work could remove that advantage. With the duplex, I would have greater direct responsibility for the roof, exterior, services and repairs, as well as more tenant management.
I am comparing insurance, energy use, tenant demand, vacancy, resale liquidity and parcel-level flood exposure. If I occupy part of the duplex, control and vacancy affect me differently than if both units are rentals; if the studio’s building has weak reserves, its apparent simplicity is misleading. What documents and physical checks would you prioritise to uncover costs likely to appear after the first year?