70 m² coastal home or student housing in Dubai: what costs emerge later?

tradeTheChart

Landlord
Established
I’ve asked for the full statement rather than accepting another verbal estimate. I’m comparing a 70 m² coastal home with similarly priced student housing in Dubai.

The coastal home appears simpler to maintain. Student housing seems to offer more control, but potentially larger irregular costs. I’m modelling rental regulation, insurance, energy use, resale liquidity, vacancy and management workload. Which costs tend to become visible only after the first year, and what should be on my practical checklist before choosing?
 
The missing detail is how the student housing is structured. Are you buying a self-contained unit, a room within a larger arrangement, or something managed by an operator? Those can produce very different responsibilities.

For either option, ask for itemised recurring charges, past major works and any planned expenditure. Student turnover, furnishing wear and gaps between academic periods could matter more than routine maintenance.
 
That distinction is exactly what I’m trying to pin down. The headline description makes the student option sound hands-off, but I don’t yet have a clear written split between owner, building management and any operator responsibilities. I’ve now requested that alongside the full charge statement. I’ll also ask whether utilities and room refreshes sit with the owner.
 
I wouldn’t assume the coastal home is automatically simpler. A 70 m² interior may be manageable, but the owner can still be exposed to shared-building expenditure, and a coastal setting may be harder on external finishes or equipment. Compare the building’s reserves and maintenance history, not just the condition inside the unit.
 
Resale liquidity may be the deciding factor rather than maintenance. A conventional home has a broader possible buyer pool, while purpose-specific student housing depends more heavily on continued tenant demand and on future buyers accepting the same operating arrangement. Ask who can occupy each property and whether there are restrictions affecting resale; the written terms matter in Dubai.
 
I partly disagree that the broader buyer pool settles it. A coastal home can also be vulnerable to seasonal demand, higher energy use and periods without a tenant. The comparison should use conservative vacancy assumptions for both.

I’d model three cases: normal occupancy, an extended vacancy, and one year containing a major shared or internal expense. If one option only works in the best case, that tells you plenty.
 
Insurance deserves a line-by-line comparison too. Establish what the building policy covers and what remains with the individual owner, including contents or furnished areas. Don’t treat “insured” as meaning every interruption or repair is covered. The useful figure is the owner’s remaining exposure after exclusions, limits and any excess, confirmed for the specific property.
 
For workload, map every tenant event: marketing, screening, contracts, move-in, utility handling, maintenance calls, inspections, move-out and refurbishment. Then mark who performs and pays for each task under both options. Student housing may produce more frequent transitions; the coastal home may have fewer transitions but longer vacancies. That exercise often exposes costs hidden by a single management percentage.
 
Before deciding, put both properties into the same one-page table: recurring building charges, reserve position, planned works, insurance gaps, owner-paid utilities, furnishing replacement, management tasks, realistic vacancy periods and likely resale audience. Keep verbal estimates out of the base case until supported in writing. I’d also have the final ownership and rental terms checked locally, because the exact building and contractual arrangement can change the comparison.
 
Back
Top