70 m² mixed-use property or warehouse in Paris: which risks are easier to carry?

bikesAndJournal

Homeowner
Established
I’m comparing a 70 m² mixed-use property with a similarly priced warehouse in Paris. The mixed-use option appears easier to maintain, while the warehouse offers more control but potentially larger irregular bills.

My model includes energy performance, insurance, energy use, resale liquidity, tenant demand, vacancy and management time. I’m less confident about shared-building reserves and one-off works. Which costs tend to emerge only after the first year, and what would you put on a pre-purchase checklist?
 
One extra point: I’m not simply looking for the lowest annual cost. I’d accept somewhat higher routine spending if it made vacancies shorter and resale easier. How would you compare a predictable shared charge against the warehouse risk of a large repair that falls entirely on one owner?
 
The missing fact is the intended tenant and use. Is the mixed-use space mainly suitable for residential, office or retail occupation, and what activity could the warehouse realistically support? Those answers drive energy consumption, insurance and vacancy more than the floor area does.

For irregular costs, obtain the shared building’s planned works and reserve position. For the warehouse, inspect the structure, roof, services and access because there is no group of owners sharing those failures.
 
I would not assume the mixed-use property is automatically more liquid. A space trying to serve several uses can have a narrower buyer pool if its layout works poorly for each one. Equally, a warehouse with awkward access may be cheap to hold but difficult to let.

Compare realistic occupiers first, then model a long vacancy and an energy upgrade for each. Any permitted-use or occupation questions need checking for the specific Paris property rather than inferred from its description.
 
I’d build two separate five-year cash-flow sheets rather than one comparison of annual averages. Include routine maintenance, insurance, energy during vacancy, management time, tenant turnover and a contingency for major works. Put shared charges and possible collective works only on the mixed-use sheet; put the full cost of building-level failures on the warehouse sheet.

Then ask local agents how long each exact type and location usually takes to let or resell—not just whether there is “demand.” If the decision still looks close, the surveys, insurance indications and building records should reveal which uncertainty is actually measurable.
 
Back
Top