LightStone
First-time buyer
I’m comparing a 70 m² unit in a mixed-use building with a similarly priced villa in São Paulo. The building option appears easier to maintain, but shared reserves and decisions could mean less control. The villa offers more autonomy, although I may be taking on larger irregular repair, insurance and security-related costs.
I’m trying to model maintenance, insurance, energy use, vacancy risk, management workload and eventual resale liquidity. Tenant demand also matters if I later let it out. Our adviser flagged the trade-offs but stopped short of saying either option was one to walk away from.
What should I inspect in the building’s reserve position and maintenance history, and which villa costs are most often underestimated after the first year? A practical checklist—and views on which type is usually harder to resell or keep occupied—would be especially helpful.
I’m trying to model maintenance, insurance, energy use, vacancy risk, management workload and eventual resale liquidity. Tenant demand also matters if I later let it out. Our adviser flagged the trade-offs but stopped short of saying either option was one to walk away from.
What should I inspect in the building’s reserve position and maintenance history, and which villa costs are most often underestimated after the first year? A practical checklist—and views on which type is usually harder to resell or keep occupied—would be especially helpful.