70 m² villa or similarly priced duplex in Seoul?

coffeeAndChart

First-time buyer
Established
After adding vacancy and insurance to the figures, I am less convinced that the 70 m² villa is automatically the simpler choice over a similarly priced Seoul duplex. That leaves one key question: am I comparing predictable shared contributions with major work that would fall directly on one owner, or merely shifting the same risk between two budgets?

I have also allowed for energy use, resale prospects, tenant demand and management time. Before choosing, I would want to verify the reserve position and planned works for the villa, then price the duplex's likely exterior, drainage and heating liabilities. Which accounts, insurance details or inspection findings would be most useful for making that comparison?
 
Don’t treat the villa’s regular shared charges as automatically more expensive than handling work yourself. A reserve can make costs visible and spread them out; the duplex may look cheaper until several exterior, drainage or heating items need attention together. I’d compare five years of likely work, not just the first annual budget.
 
What does “duplex” mean in this particular listing: the whole building, one of two separately owned units, or a two-level home inside a larger building? The amount of control and the insurance exposure could be completely different. Also, are you planning to occupy it, rent all of it, or live in one part and rent another?
 
Ayar’s ownership question is the first thing to settle. If it is only one unit, the claimed control may be overstated and you could still have shared decisions without a substantial reserve. If it is the whole property, budget for the building envelope and common service areas rather than comparing only the living space.
 
One caveat to my earlier point: the villa is not necessarily the low-work option. Weak management or an underfunded shared reserve can turn a modest repair into a dispute or sudden contribution. Ask for the reserve balance, recent maintenance history, planned work, insurance scope and evidence of how past costs were divided.
 
I would give resale liquidity more weight than small differences in predicted energy use. Energy assumptions can change with occupancy habits, but an unusual layout or unclear ownership arrangement may narrow the future buyer and tenant pool. Compare usable area, privacy, access and whether each floor functions naturally—not just the duplex label.
 
I partly disagree on putting resale first if the holding period could be long. Poor insulation or inefficient heating affects comfort and cash flow every season, whereas resale is one future event. Request actual utility history where available and note which spaces, floors and shared areas those bills cover. A duplex with more exposed exterior surface may not compare neatly with a 70 m² unit.
 
For the rental side, model the layouts separately. One flexible home and two genuinely independent rental spaces are not the same proposition. Check entrances, kitchens, bathrooms, meters and privacy rather than assuming two levels create two units. Then stress-test one vacant portion, extra cleaning and repairs, and the time needed to coordinate tenants or contractors.
 
The ownership definition is the gap in my comparison. I had taken “more control” at face value, but I need confirmation of exactly what is individually owned and what remains shared before pricing that benefit.

I’ll now request the maintenance and reserve history for the villa, plus insurance scope, utility history, meter arrangements and responsibility for exterior work on the duplex. I’ll also run separate owner-occupier and rental scenarios, including partial vacancy, rather than forcing both properties into one annual-cost figure.
 
Back
Top