99 days on market: shorten the inspection window or walk away?

tennisAndTrail

Property investor
We’ve lost two offers on older coastal homes in Jakarta to buyers who imposed fewer conditions. The property we’re now considering has been on the market for 99 days and is priced at IDR 7,090,000,000. Our agent thinks a shorter inspection window would help, but waiving inspection completely feels reckless.

The visible condition is decent, although the building’s age and uncertainty around service charges concern me. I’m considering either a pre-offer inspection or a narrowly limited contingency. I also don’t want inspection findings, moving costs and immediate repairs to consume the emergency fund just before the first mortgage payment. What middle ground would you choose?
 
I wouldn’t waive it solely because the previous buyers had fewer conditions. Ask whether the seller will allow an inspection before you offer; if not, keep a short inspection period rather than none. Be careful with a “structural only” condition, since expensive problems can involve water, wiring or plumbing without fitting that label neatly. Service charges need separate clarification because an inspection won’t resolve them.
 
How much cash would remain after the purchase, moving costs, insurance excess and the first mortgage payment? That matters more than whether the house looks decent. If one substantial repair would empty the reserve, you need broader protection or a lower price. Also, 99 days on the market makes me curious: has your agent explained why this property has not already gone to one of those less-conditional buyers?
 
I slightly disagree with treating any shortened condition as too risky. A pre-offer inspection could give you enough information to submit a cleaner offer without going in blind. I would avoid restricting it to “structural” issues, though; the wording could create an argument over what qualifies, and that depends on the local contract. Set the furniture budget aside, preserve cash for early repairs, and have the exact contingency language checked before signing.
 
The 99 days is the time this property has been listed. I don’t yet have a convincing explanation for that, so I’m asking the agent about both the history and whether inspection access is possible before an offer. Mapping the first-month expenses was helpful: furniture can wait, but repairs and service charges cannot. I’m no longer considering a complete waiver.
 
That sounds more balanced. I’d make the next step a single written cash plan: funds needed to move, the first mortgage payment, the insurance excess, a repair allowance and an untouched emergency reserve. Then ask for the current service-charge amount, what it covers and whether any additional costs are expected. If the seller permits access, let the inspection findings determine your offer rather than deciding the acceptable risk in advance.
 
Back
Top