A$494,000 is the figure driving the choice. A comparable Sydney apartment would cost noticeably more to own each month once I include interest, taxes, maintenance and building fees, although part of the mortgage payment would increase my ownership stake.
The difficulty is that I may leave Sydney or need to sell within five to seven years. Renting preserves that flexibility, while buying exposes me to entry and sale costs as well as possible fee increases. How would you compare those risks without treating every mortgage payment as an expense? I would also be interested in whether maintenance intensity, buyer demand and rental demand should influence the decision.
The difficulty is that I may leave Sydney or need to sell within five to seven years. Renting preserves that flexibility, while buying exposes me to entry and sale costs as well as possible fee increases. How would you compare those risks without treating every mortgage payment as an expense? I would also be interested in whether maintenance intensity, buyer demand and rental demand should influence the decision.