A fair screening process for a 1-bed duplex in Delhi

GroundedPage

Homeowner
Established
I’m reviewing applicants for a 1-bed duplex in Delhi, but income, references and credit history are producing different rankings. I don’t want to choose whichever measure happens to support my first impression.

How would you build a consistent, lawful screening process that gives proper weight to payment reliability and tenant retention without rejecting good applicants unnecessarily? I’m also interested in which popular rules provide false confidence. Experience with a similar duplex would be especially useful.
 
Set the criteria and weighting before choosing: verifiable ability to cover the rent, documented payment history where available, and factual reference questions asked in the same form. Record why each applicant passed or failed each item.

I would not let a thin credit history automatically outweigh stable income. Also keep deposit handling and lease compliance separate from applicant quality; those are obligations to confirm locally, not screening scores.
 
What rent are you asking relative to the local market, and how long can you tolerate the duplex being vacant? If the rent is ambitious, rejecting otherwise credible applicants for an ideal credit profile may simply increase vacancy time and turnover cost.

I’d also look at the property’s maintenance history. Repeated unresolved issues can cause short tenancies regardless of how carefully someone was screened.
 
I’m less convinced by landlord references than sbaker. They can be vague, coached or influenced by a landlord wanting the tenant to leave. A reference should corroborate dates, rent and payment regularity, not become a character assessment.

Completeness and consistency across the application can be useful too, although response speed should not be scored. People with demanding schedules should not lose a home because they took longer to send paperwork.
 
That distinction is fair. I’d add that “reported maintenance promptly” can be a factual reference question, especially for a duplex where an ignored leak or electrical issue could affect more than the rented space. But one reluctant former landlord should not decide the application.

Before advertising, confirm the applicable Delhi notice, deposit and tenancy requirements. Those rules may affect your turnover risk and lease drafting, but they should be applied consistently rather than used to improvise extra hurdles.
 
A simple scoring sheet may solve the conflict: mark each applicant against the same evidence categories, state what alternative documents are acceptable, and avoid hidden discretionary points. Decide in advance how you will handle missing credit history or an unreachable reference.

I would also give applicants a short opportunity to explain a genuine discrepancy. That is different from negotiating standards after seeing who applied.
 
The practical next step is to separate pass/fail requirements from preferences. Ability to pay and verified identity may be threshold matters; a longer expected stay or especially strong reference might only help distinguish applicants who already qualify.

Then test the process on anonymised versions of the current applications. If changing names or application order changes the result, the criteria are probably too subjective. Finally, compare the likely vacancy cost of waiting with the real risk identified in each file—not a general feeling that one applicant looks safer.
 
Back
Top