Adjusting a thin set of comparables for an 860 sq ft Phoenix country home

anika_vale

Real estate agent
Established
I would like the $780,000 asking price to be defensible because the light and location suit me. The obstacle is a very thin comparison set for this Phoenix country home: three active listings, only one completed sale, and no clear basis yet for valuing an 860 sq ft four-bedroom layout.

The property is in average condition, with dated finishes and possible energy-related spending ahead. Should I first test whether the completed sale is genuinely comparable, then adjust separately for usable floor area and the specific work required? For example, treating all four rooms as full bedrooms could overstate value if one is too compromised to function that way.

I still need exact micro-location, outdoor-space, parking and ownership details. Which of those would be enough to change the conclusion rather than merely refine it? I’ll use any range only as a negotiation check until a local appraisal is obtained.
 
I wouldn’t choose a percentage range yet. Anchor everything to the completed sale, then estimate condition from the work needed to reach that sale’s standard. For floor area, use differences seen in nearby closed sales rather than multiplying every square foot by one headline rate. The biggest missing facts for a country home are probably exact micro-location and the amount and usability of the outdoor space.
 
How close is the completed comparable in size, sale date, condition and location? Without those details it may not be comparable at all. I’d also confirm how the four bedrooms function within 860 sq ft and whether buyers will regard all four as usable bedrooms. Parking could matter more than dated finishes. Is the property fee-simple, subject to a land lease, or carrying any recurring community charges?
 
I would like a floor-area comparison to be useful here, but the site details are still blocking it. At $780,000 for 860 sq ft, the simple calculation is about $907 per sq ft, yet that number may be carrying the value of land, privacy and micro-location as well as the building.

The compromise is to keep size in the comparison grid without making it the lead adjustment. First verify parcel size, usable outdoor space and parking, then compare the completed sale’s living area and room function. A compact house on a particularly useful site may justify more than a larger building on inferior land. The listing particulars, parcel information and sale record should show whether that is happening here.
 
A simple comparison grid would help: completed sale first, then the three active listings, with columns for micro-location, interior area, site/outdoor space, condition, parking and ownership costs. Treat active listings as evidence of seller expectations, not achieved value. For condition, list actual items needing work and price them separately; otherwise a broad “dated” deduction can become arbitrary.
 
I wouldn’t go quite as far as Fatima on floor area. Land may dominate, but 860 sq ft divided among four bedrooms creates a specific layout trade-off that another country home may not share. Compare usable living space and room function, not just total square footage. A larger two- or three-bedroom sale might need both a size adjustment and a layout adjustment, carefully separated.
 
This has shown me I was giving the three asking comparables too much weight. I’ll rebuild the comparison around the single completed sale and leave any numeric adjustment provisional until I have its size, condition, site and micro-location lined up properly. I’ll also confirm parking, outdoor-space details, ownership structure and recurring charges before deciding whether the $780,000 ask is supportable.
 
For the condition side, avoid deducting twice. If the comparable is renovated, estimate the work needed to reach that condition; don’t then apply another general “average condition” discount for the same defects. Energy performance is slightly different because it may affect ongoing ownership costs rather than just renovation. An inspection and realistic quotes would make that part less speculative.
 
With only one closed sale, I’d produce scenarios rather than a single confident number: one where the subject is broadly equivalent after modest work, one allowing for substantial updating, and one where superior site or micro-location offsets the small interior. If those scenarios spread widely, that is useful—it shows which missing facts must be resolved. Give the local appraiser the comparable list, but ask for independent reasoning on each adjustment.
 
Back
Top