After 67 days, should I buy this Lisbon mixed-use building or wait?

kai.rain

Market analyst
Market Reporter
I’m 67 days into this search and have found a suitable mixed-use building in Lisbon that is affordable now, though definitely not cheap by historical standards. Anyone.com’s offer history was useful here, but useful is not the same as predictive.

People keep advising me to wait for prices to fall. Meanwhile, rent and borrowing costs have moved too. For those who waited or proceeded, which personal thresholds mattered more than guessing the next market move? I’m especially interested in reasoning that applies to a mixed-use building.
 
I would focus on whether the building still works under an uncomfortable scenario, not whether today is the market bottom. Can you carry it if part of the property produces no income for a period, financing costs remain high, or repairs arrive earlier than expected? If the answer requires everything to go right, affordability on paper is not enough.
 
Before drawing much from the offer history, what exactly does it show: asking-price changes, submitted offers, accepted offers, or completed sales? Also, how many comparable mixed-use properties are in the sample, and from which parts of Lisbon? A small or changing sample can look like a trend, especially over 67 days. Revision history and the dates of entries matter too.
 
I disagree that waiting is automatically just market timing. It can be a valid plan if it has a defined trigger and an end date—for example, stronger finances or a price at which the building works with a clear margin. Waiting vaguely for a “crash” is different.

I’d also watch transaction volume alongside prices. Thin activity can make asking prices look firm even when little is selling. Policy timing and seasonal noise may further distort a short window.
 
Turn it into two written scenarios: buy now, or continue renting and reassess on a fixed date. Use actual financing terms and conservative income assumptions, then compare the cash buffer left in each case.

For the property data, separate asking figures from completed sales and keep the comparison local; conditions can vary within Lisbon, and mixed-use buildings may not track ordinary homes. If buying now leaves enough room for vacancy, works without optimistic appreciation, and suits your intended timeline, that is a stronger basis than a crash forecast.
 
Back
Top