Amsterdam listings: is energy performance driving the time on market?

sunny_pine

Homeowner
Established
I can either filter heavily for energy performance and risk overlooking good value, or keep a broad Amsterdam search and end up comparing unlike properties. Neither approach feels reliable when the asking range is €309,100 to €463,700.

Most of my sample is townhouses, and the typical advert has remained visible for 48 days. I cannot tell whether the slower examples reflect condition, financing difficulties, seller expectations or simply different neighbourhood markets. Would you first narrow the boundaries, or track fresh listings and status changes within the current sample?
 
Energy performance may explain part of it, but 48 days of visibility is not the same as 48 days to a completed sale. Withdrawn and relisted homes can distort the picture. I’d separate active, reduced, withdrawn and completed listings, then compare their original asking prices rather than treating every disappearance as a sale.
 
You have already narrowed the search by price and mainly by property type; the unclear part is whether those townhouses belong in one market. Energy performance may still matter, but it should not be the first explanation if the neighbourhoods, floor areas and renovation needs differ.

I would split the sample before drawing a conclusion. If comparable homes within the same small area still show a timing gap, then compare their condition and energy details. If the gap largely disappears after tightening the boundary, the 48-day figure was probably combining separate micro-markets.
 
One more missing piece is new-listing volume. If many similar properties arrived during the same period, slower movement might reflect buyer choice rather than energy performance. I’d record listing date, first reduction date and whether the description or photos changed. That should expose stale stock and relistings without assuming the cause.
 
I wouldn’t make energy performance the lead explanation yet. Seller motivation and buyer financing can affect timing even when two properties look comparable. A keenly priced home with an imperfect energy profile may move before an efficient one whose seller is testing the upper end. Recent completed prices are more informative than current asking prices, though the exact sale details may be limited.
 
Good points. My current grouping is clearly too broad: I counted days visible but did not consistently distinguish reductions, withdrawals or possible relistings. I’ll split the sample by tighter neighbourhood boundaries and condition, then track original ask, price-cut timing and final status. Energy performance can stay as one field rather than the conclusion I start with.
 
That approach should also help with the €309,100–€463,700 spread. I’d add a short note for each outlier: unusual condition, boundary location, financing-sensitive asking level, or signs the seller is not under pressure. After that, compare the faster and slower groups. If energy performance still separates them after those factors are controlled, the pattern will be much more persuasive.
 
Back
Top