Amsterdam rental: €496,800 purchase and €2,756/month — what am I missing?

asha.finch

Property investor
If the rent or recurring costs are wrong, this purchase could produce very little cash flow despite an attractive headline yield. I’m reviewing a 2-bed Amsterdam new-build flat priced at €496,800, with projected rent of €2,756 a month and a stated gross yield of roughly 6.7%.

My spreadsheet includes empty periods, management fees, ordinary upkeep and a repair contingency. What keeps changing the answer is the building-level position: recurring charges and the adequacy of its reserves may matter more than the apparent condition of a new flat. A higher management cost or one difficult year quickly removes much of the margin.

Which figure should I challenge first—the achievable rent, property tax, management fee or building charges? I’d rather agree a conservative net cash-flow test than rely on the gross percentage. If the rent is supported, what combined downside case would you use before deciding the return is worth the risk?
 
Start with the VvE contribution, its maintenance plan and what the monthly charge does not cover. A new-build can look inexpensive initially while the reserve is still being established. Also separate costs recoverable from the tenant from costs that remain yours.

Is €2,756 an evidenced achievable rent for this exact flat, or an agent’s estimate? I would verify that before debating an acceptable net yield.
 
I’d go one step back: is €496,800 your complete acquisition cost, including any transaction and financing expenses that apply to your situation? Otherwise the 6.7% is being calculated on too small a base.

I also wouldn’t assume one generic “bad year” captures the risk. Model tenant turnover, vacancy, insurance, property tax, VvE charges and a financing-rate increase separately. The deal should still produce worthwhile cash flow under a combined downside case; a respectable-looking net yield before finance may not help if debt absorbs it.
 
Back
Top