Amsterdam student housing: are active listings distorting my 105-day sample?

sunny_pine

Homeowner
Established
I’m looking at Amsterdam student housing listed between €909,000 and €1,363,000. The properties still visible appear to take roughly 105 days to find a buyer, with many of the longer cases seemingly connected to rental regulation. Before I treat that as the current pace, should I be giving more weight to recent completed deals, withdrawn properties or new-listing volume?
 
Yes—active listings alone will usually make the market look slower because the difficult properties remain visible while quicker sales disappear. Compare them with recent completed deals, but also keep withdrawn stock as a separate outcome rather than silently treating it as unsold. Price reductions matter too: count time from the original listing date, not the latest asking price.
 
How are you defining both “Amsterdam” and “student housing”? A small boundary change or a mix of occupied buildings, vacant properties and projects needing work could move the result substantially in a price band with limited comparable stock. Also, is 105 days a median, an average, or simply the age of the current listings?
 
I wouldn’t assume rental regulation explains most of the outliers without checking the individual properties. Condition, seller motivation and whether buyers can obtain suitable financing may produce the same long marketing period. A completed sale can also look quick after a price cut even though the seller spent months testing a higher price first.
 
I agree that the 105 days may describe the sample rather than Amsterdam demand, but I would hesitate to discard it entirely. The useful comparison is between similar listings that entered the market at roughly the same time, not between everything still visible today.

Sort them by neighbourhood, condition and whether they are occupied, then retain the first listing date, reductions and eventual outcome. For example, a renovated vacant property that completes should not share a cohort with an occupied building needing work that is later withdrawn. This keeps completed and withdrawn stock separate while still showing whether newer listings are moving differently from older ones.
 
I’d also keep the completed and withdrawn groups separate, as Fatima suggested. Combining them into one “left the market” category would hide the difference between a buyer accepting the property and a seller changing plans. With the definition questions answered, the 105 days can still be useful—but as a description of this sample, not yet a clean measure of Amsterdam demand.
 
Back
Top