Another homeowner following the Johannesburg market

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
I’m torn between starting with Johannesburg discussions and reading wider market comparisons first. I’m a homeowner here, while much of my recent reading has moved toward warehouses, transaction expenses and the difference between advertised figures and completed deals.

I joined because I want a more reliable way to turn market data into basic investment models, not simply collect possible purchases. Legal-cost checklists and mortgage comparisons would also be useful. Which existing section or thread would be the best starting point for South African completed-sale evidence, and what source details should I record so that asking prices are not mistaken for transactions?
 
One extra detail: I’m not looking only for investment picks. I’d like to understand how members separate reliable completed-sale evidence from asking-price noise, then use that in basic investment modelling. Discussions covering mortgage comparisons or legal costs would also be useful.
 
I’d begin on the local board and work outward. Completed prices and transaction costs are highly location-specific, so an overseas comparison can be interesting without being directly usable. When reading older discussions, note the date, exact area, property type, and whether a figure is an asking price or a recorded transaction. Are you studying warehouses as a possible purchase, or mainly to learn how commercial property is valued?
 
I partly disagree with starting from threads. They can help you learn which questions to ask, but inconsistent definitions make comparisons messy. Build a simple table first: location, property type, advertised price, completed price if available, transaction date, financing assumptions, expected management costs, and renovation needs. Then use discussions to challenge the assumptions rather than supply all the numbers.
 
For warehouses in particular, I’d also keep the property-management side separate from the purchase-price comparison. A seemingly attractive price tells you little unless the operating and occupancy assumptions are clear. On legal costs, mortgage terms, and transaction charges, treat forum posts as prompts for a checklist; South African details and individual circumstances can change what applies.
 
A practical route through the forum would be: local board first, then market data, investment modelling, mortgage comparisons, and legal checklists. Leave renovation and property management until you have a sample property to test, otherwise those discussions become abstract. For each candidate, write down what evidence would change your view. That makes it easier to spot when an attractive advertised price is doing too much work in the model.
 
Back
Top