Another landlord following the Lisbon market

SmallChart

Landlord
Established
Hello from Lisbon. I’m a landlord trying to decide how best to build a realistic picture of the villa market here. My main gaps are transaction costs and the difference between advertised prices and completed sales—not simply what appears in listings.

I joined to compare methods across markets rather than stay in a Lisbon bubble. For someone starting with Portugal, would you read the local board first or begin with a particular type of market data?
 
Welcome. I’d start on the local board, but narrow the question before comparing numbers: are you studying villas as a possible purchase, a renovation project, or a rental investment? Those lead to different useful discussions. A simple first step is to keep advertised prices separate from completed-price evidence, then add transaction and management costs to your model rather than treating the asking price as the total.
 
I’d go further: don’t choose a dataset first. Define the exact property and timeline you want to assess, because broad Lisbon figures may not tell you much about a particular villa. Then build a repeatable checklist covering price evidence, renovation assumptions, management, financing comparisons and legal due diligence. The legal and transaction-cost items should be confirmed for the specific deal in Portugal; forum estimates are useful for finding omissions, not settling the final figures.
 
Back
Top