Another landlord following the Singapore market

MinaReed

Landlord
Hello from Singapore. I’m a landlord trying to understand apartments more systematically, especially transaction costs and the gap between advertised prices and completed deals. I’d like to compare Singapore with other markets without getting trapped in a local bubble. For those following Singapore, would you begin with the local board, a particular type of market dataset, or a thread aimed at first-purchase questions?
 
I’ve checked some of the Singapore board, but it is not always obvious whether people are discussing asking figures or recorded transactions. I would not begin with an international comparison until that distinction is clear.

An advertised apartment can help show what sellers currently hope to receive, yet it is a poor substitute for a completed deal when estimating value. Start with a small local sample, label the two price types separately, and note the transaction period and apartment features. Once that holds together, you can test the same method against another market.
 
What are you hoping to compare: similar apartments within Singapore, or Singapore against another country? Also, are you mainly studying acquisition, ongoing management, or eventual resale? The most useful dataset depends on the question. For a first pass, I’d narrow by location, apartment characteristics and transaction period before comparing prices.
 
If the comparison is built on the wrong inputs, the neatest model may still point you toward a bad decision. Price data alone can make two apartments look equivalent even when financing, renovation and acquisition costs create very different risks.

I would start with a few genuinely comparable Singapore properties rather than a large download. Keep advertised and completed figures apart, then add the costs and assumptions attached to each purchase. That gives you a structure worth expanding without pretending the early numbers are more precise than they are.
 
Bianca’s approach also makes cross-market comparison easier. I’d build one sheet with purchase price, transaction costs, mortgage assumptions, renovation, recurring management costs and expected vacancy. Keep local currency inputs intact before converting anything. That way an exchange-rate change doesn’t get mistaken for a property-market difference.
 
One more route through the forum: after the local market-data threads, move to property management and mortgage comparisons, then legal checklists. Those discussions may reveal costs or restrictions your price model has omitted. I would treat any checklist here as a list of questions to verify for the relevant jurisdiction, not as a substitute for local advice.
 
Back
Top