Apartment or country home in New York: what costs emerge after year one?

grove.friendly

Buyer
Established
I’m deciding between a 1,130 sq ft apartment and a similarly priced country home in New York. The apartment appears easier to maintain, but shared-building charges and reserve funding could rise beyond what the current figures suggest. The country home offers more control, though I’d be responsible for every repair and potentially higher, less predictable insurance and energy costs.

I’m comparing total ownership rather than just the purchase price: maintenance intensity, insurance exposure, energy use, resale liquidity, tenant demand, vacancy risk and management workload. I’d also like to understand how to assess a building’s reserves against the likely irregular costs of a standalone home.

For those familiar with either property type, which expenses or practical burdens became apparent only after the first year? A checklist of records, recent bills and property-specific questions to request before choosing would be especially helpful.
 
Back
Top