April 2025 notes from Hong Kong: mixed-use buildings — thoughts? (1 bed)

Maybe this is seasonal, although agents are giving me different explanations. For April 2025 I tracked a narrow group of Hong Kong mixed-use buildings priced from HK$6,271,000 to HK$9,407,000, rather than relying on the citywide average. Their current marketing period is roughly 67 days.

Local supply appears more important than the monthly headline. Does this look like ordinary building-level variation, or an early shift in this segment? I’m particularly interested in what would distinguish the two.
 
Sixty-seven days alone cannot tell you. I’d compare recent completed sales with asking prices, then separate active listings from withdrawn stock. A flat marketing period can hide weakening demand if sellers quietly withdraw instead of cutting. Also, how tightly have you drawn the neighbourhood boundaries? Even nearby mixed-use buildings may attract different buyers because of condition and the commercial activity below.
 
I partly disagree that completed sales should lead the analysis here, since they reflect negotiations that began earlier. New-listing volume and the timing of price cuts may show a turn sooner.

Are the 67 days measured from first listing, or from the latest relisting? And are the one-bedroom properties broadly comparable in condition? Relisted or recently refurbished units could distort such a small group.
 
Fair point on the lag in completed sales, but I would still use them as confirmation rather than discard them. Track the same buildings for another month and note first-listing dates, relistings, withdrawals, and when reductions occur. If new supply rises while cuts happen earlier and completed prices soften, that is more persuasive evidence of a segment change. If results remain concentrated in a few buildings, seller motivation or buyer-financing difficulties may explain the 67 days better than a wider Hong Kong shift.
 
Back
Top