Are 28-day listing times giving a misleading picture of Copenhagen?

alba_finance

Buyer
Established
I’m looking at Copenhagen properties listed between DKK 7,754,000 and DKK 11,630,000. The current sample suggests about 28 days to find a buyer, with many of the slower outliers apparently connected to rental regulation.

Before treating that as a market shift, I’d like to compare it with recent completed sales. Are active listings creating survivor bias here, especially if withdrawn properties disappear from view? I’m also wondering whether new-listing volume or the timing of price cuts changed this month.
 
Completed deals should help, but they will describe an earlier market because the sale becomes visible after the buyer was actually found. I’d separate three groups: completed, still advertised, and withdrawn. Otherwise quick sales vanish from the active sample while stale listings dominate it. Also record the first asking price and any reduction date; 28 days after a cut is not the same as 28 days at the original price.
 
A citywide sample is probably too broad, but a very narrow neighbourhood sample may leave too few useful comparisons. Neither gives much confidence in a 28-day headline figure unless condition and occupancy are also controlled.

I’m also not convinced the slow listings should mainly be attributed to rental regulation. Vacant properties in similar locations would provide a useful check: if they linger as well, seller expectations or buyers’ ability to finance purchases in the DKK 7,754,000 to DKK 11,630,000 range may be contributing. I’d split the sample by a few clear neighbourhood groups, then flag rental status rather than treating it as the starting explanation.
 
That’s fair. I wouldn’t use one citywide 28-day figure without splitting the sample further. A useful next pass would group by neighbourhood, condition and occupancy status, then mark reductions and withdrawals separately. I still think rental regulation is worth tracking, but not as the default explanation for every long listing. Comparing those groups with completed deals should show whether this month actually changed or the active sample merely became less favourable.
 
Back
Top