Are Athens condo sellers negotiating more after 58 days on market?

drawTheTrail

Homeowner
Established
The Athens condo market looks split rather than uniformly fast or slow. In the €850,100–€1,275,000 range, I’m seeing listings sit for about 58 days, but properties with a clear vacancy position seem to move differently.

Would 58 days justify opening meaningfully below asking, or is that still too little information? I’m particularly interested in recent completed sales where the final price can be compared with the full public asking history, including any cuts or relisting.
 
To clarify, by vacancy I mean whether the property is unoccupied and can be handed over without uncertainty, not the general vacancy rate in Athens. I also suspect broad city comparisons are hiding big differences between neighbourhoods and between renovated and dated condos.
 
Fifty-eight days alone would not persuade me that a seller is ready to negotiate. A listing can appear fresh after being withdrawn and relisted, while another may have sat unchanged because the owner has no urgency. I’d compare completed properties within a tight neighbourhood boundary and separate vacant, occupied, renovated and renovation-needed units.
 
Are you buying with financing or able to proceed without it? That can affect how attractive an offer looks even when the number is lower. Also, how narrow is your search area? At this price, crossing into a nearby neighbourhood or comparing different building quality could make the days-on-market figure misleading.
 
I partly disagree that 58 days tells you almost nothing. It becomes useful when combined with price-cut timing. A reduction after several quiet weeks may show the seller is adjusting; 58 days with no change may indicate patience rather than weakness. Withdrawn stock matters too, because unsuccessful listings disappearing from view can make the active market look healthier than it is.
 
I’d make a small comparison sheet for each serious candidate: initial ask, current ask, first-listing date, any gaps or relisting, condition, occupancy, and whether the seller has stated a preferred completion timeline. Then ask for the closest recent completed examples and final prices where that information is actually available. New-listing volume is worth tracking as well: an older listing has more competition if several similar condos arrive at once.
 
The practical offer case should probably be property-specific rather than “58 days equals X% off.” Use defects, renovation cost, uncertain possession, repeated cuts and genuine nearby alternatives to support the figure. If the condo is vacant, well presented and the seller is not under pressure, its time online may create less leverage than a newer but occupied property with a motivated seller.
 
Back
Top