Are buyers negotiating more in Stockholm after 116 days - second opinion?

cai.fable

Homeowner
Established
I need to settle on an opening-bid range before pursuing one of these flats, but the trade-off is whether 116 advertised days signals a flexible seller or merely a misleading listing history. I am looking at Stockholm new builds priced from about SEK 4,451,000 to SEK 6,677,000.

Before bidding below ask, I would want to separate continuously available homes from stock that was reserved, withdrawn or relaunched. Condition and seller motivation may also explain more than the headline number. Insurance information appears clearer on some listings than others, although I am still working out whether that difference concerns the building or the individual property. Recent completed deals showing original asks, later reductions and sale prices in a tightly comparable area would be useful.
 
At 116 days I would negotiate, but I wouldn’t choose the discount from that number alone. First separate genuinely unsold homes from listings that were withdrawn, relaunched or reserved for part of that period. Then compare final prices with the asking price immediately before sale, not just the original headline price. Price-cut dates may reveal more about seller flexibility than total days advertised.
 
What exactly do you mean by a clear answer on insurance? Is the uncertainty about the building, the flat or some new-build cover? That detail could explain why apparently similar homes move differently.

Also, how tightly are you defining the neighbourhood? Crossing even a practical boundary can make a comparison poor, so Stockholm-wide examples may not tell you much about the particular flat.
 
One more missing piece is condition at handover. “New-build” makes the flats sound interchangeable, but buyers may react differently if one is ready and straightforward while another has unresolved questions. I’d group completed sales by immediate condition and location before treating 116 days as a single market signal.
 
I’m slightly less convinced that condition is the main issue here. Seller motivation can overwhelm otherwise small differences. A developer or other seller with several similar units may behave differently from someone focused on one sale, and the public listing history won’t necessarily show that pressure. Ask why this particular property remains available and whether earlier interest failed because of price, financing or unanswered information.
 
Buyer financing matters too. A low offer that can actually proceed may be more persuasive than a higher but uncertain one, although the importance of that will depend on the seller. Before bidding, settle your own ceiling and any conditions you need. Otherwise a long listing period can tempt you into negotiating against yourself rather than judging whether the property is good value.
 
A practical way to test this is a small comparison table: same narrow area, similar size and condition, first asking price, each cut date, latest asking price, final price, and whether the listing disappeared without a recorded sale. Keep withdrawn stock separate from completed sales. That should show whether sellers are accepting reductions or merely waiting longer.
 
Completed sales are useful but backward-looking, so I’d also watch current new-listing volume. If fresh comparable flats keep arriving while older ones are withdrawn, buyers may have more choice than the completed figures suggest. If supply is thin, 116 days may give less leverage than expected. I’d base an opening offer on the closest completed comparisons, then adjust cautiously for current competition, the insurance explanation and this seller’s apparent motivation.
 
Back
Top