Are buyers negotiating more in Warsaw after 57 days—or am I overthinking this?

handy_page

Property investor
Established
I’m trying to decide how assertively to bid on Warsaw townhouses listed around PLN 2,781,000–PLN 4,171,000. The ones I’m watching seem to reach roughly 57 days on market, but the market feels split rather than simply slow. Discussions also seem to progress differently when transaction fees are clearly explained. Would you treat 57 days as negotiating leverage, or wait for a price cut? I’m particularly interested in recent completed sales where the final price differed from the visible asking history.
 
Fifty-seven days gives you a reason to ask questions, not automatic leverage. I’d compare each house with nearby alternatives of similar condition and then make a supported offer rather than waiting mechanically for a reduction. A seller who has had several credible offers may hold firm; one with little interest may negotiate without changing the public price.
 
How tightly are you defining the neighbourhood? At that price level, two properties described as being in the same broad area may have very different surroundings, plots and renovation needs. Also check whether those 57 days are genuinely continuous. A withdrawn and relisted property can look newer than it is.
 
One more difficulty: the public asking history only shows the seller’s advertised position. It won’t necessarily reveal an earlier failed agreement, a quiet withdrawal or what was eventually included in the deal. That makes a completed example useful only if you can match the property and understand the terms, not just compare two headline prices.
 
I’d be cautious about reading motivation from days on market or price-cut timing. Some sellers reduce early because they want a quick result; others leave an ambitious price untouched while remaining open to a private negotiation. Conversely, a visible cut may already represent the seller’s limit. The response to a documented offer tells you more than the listing age alone.
 
Make a small comparison table for each candidate: precise location, condition, asking changes, active or withdrawn periods, fee breakdown and any obvious work required. Then ask the agent what matters to the seller besides price, such as certainty or timing. You may find the apparent market split is really several different property groups being mixed together.
 
Condition deserves extra weight in that table. A cheaper townhouse needing substantial work is not necessarily the better negotiated purchase, while a well-finished one can command interest after a longer listing period. I would calculate the total acquisition and improvement cost before deciding what discount looks meaningful.
 
That’s helpful. I have probably been treating the PLN 2,781,000–PLN 4,171,000 range as one market when it contains quite different neighbourhood edges and conditions. I’ll separate those first and record withdrawn periods rather than relying on the displayed age. I also need written clarity on fees so I’m comparing total costs, not just asking prices.
 
Buyer financing can affect how a seller views two similar offers, so completed examples may not transfer neatly to your situation. Ask whether there are competing offers and whether the seller values a straightforward timetable. You do not need to disclose more than necessary, but you should know what level of certainty you can genuinely offer.
 
Also track new listings and withdrawals each week, not only price cuts. If suitable stock is being withdrawn as quickly as it appears, 57 days may not indicate much choice for buyers. If comparable homes keep accumulating, your negotiating position is stronger even before sellers publicly reduce prices.
 
For completed sales, I’d ask anyone presenting an example to identify why it is comparable: same small area, similar size and condition, and a reasonably close timeline. If they only have a screenshot of the former asking price and an unsupported final figure, don’t build your offer around it. It may still be a lead, but not solid evidence.
 
Agreed, and even a genuine final price can mislead if fixtures, repairs or fee allocation differed. Annaa90’s plan to compare total costs should help. I’d keep separate columns for confirmed information and assumptions; otherwise uncertain renovation costs or an unclear fee arrangement can quietly become treated as facts.
 
I wouldn’t wait for a public cut if one townhouse clearly suits you. Set a walk-away figure from comparable properties, condition and all-in costs, then submit a reasoned offer you can support. If it is rejected, ask whether the obstacle is price, timing or certainty. That gives you more useful information than trying to decode the 57-day figure by itself.
 
Back
Top