Are Lyon buyers negotiating more after 39 days on market?

FarThread

First-time buyer
I’ve checked asking-price changes and time on market, but I still cannot tell whether Lyon sellers are genuinely more flexible. The new-build flats I’m following are advertised from €644,000 to €966,000 and have been listed for about 39 days.

My assumption was that this created room to negotiate. A counterexample may be a flat with little direct competition, especially if nearby new-listing volume is low or the seller is under no pressure. Has anyone seen completed deals in a tightly defined neighbourhood and comparable build stage? Accepted prices, rather than further asking-price reductions, would be the useful evidence.
 
Thirty-nine days alone would not make me assume a seller is ready to negotiate. I’d look at whether comparable stock is actually selling, being withdrawn or simply sitting after a price cut. The strongest evidence would be several genuinely completed sales within the same small area and condition bracket; public asking histories only show the seller’s position, not the accepted figure.
 
How narrowly are you defining Lyon and “new-build”? Neighbourhood boundaries can distort the comparison, and a completed flat differs from one still under construction. I’d also separate cash-ready or fully financed buyers from offers carrying financing uncertainty. A seller may accept less for the cleaner offer without that indicating a broader market shift.
 
I partly disagree that completed comparables will answer this by themselves. They are backward-looking, while new-listing volume and seller motivation can change the current balance quickly. Track each candidate’s original ask, cut dates, competing units and any disappearance followed by relisting. Then ask the agent why the seller is moving and whether timing or certainty matters more than price. That gives you a basis for an offer without treating day 39 as an automatic discount trigger.
 
Back
Top