Are Oslo duplexes really taking 71 days to find a buyer this month?

HugoYork

Property investor
Established
I’m looking at Oslo duplexes priced from NOK 11,940,000 to NOK 17,910,000, and the active listings in my sample have been online for roughly 71 days. Vacancy seems to explain most of the longest-running examples, but I’m worried the sample is skewed toward properties that have not sold. Do recent completed sales show similar timing, or should I treat 71 days mainly as a measure of the stock still available?
 
Active listings will naturally overstate the typical time because the quicker sales disappear from that group. I’d compare them with recently completed deals, but also track withdrawn listings separately; removal does not necessarily mean a buyer was found. New-listing volume matters too. A quiet month can make the remaining stock look unusually old even if buyer demand has not changed much.
 
How tightly have you drawn the neighbourhood boundaries, and are all of these genuinely comparable duplexes? At that price level, condition, exact location and whether the property is vacant could matter more than the overall Oslo label. I’d also note the first price cut for each listing. Seventy-one days before a reduction tells a different story from 71 days after several unsuccessful reductions.
 
I wouldn’t assume vacancy itself is causing the delay. An empty property can be easier to view; it may simply coincide with poor condition, an awkward layout or a seller holding out for a particular price. Buyer financing could also create a gap between initial interest and a completed deal. Completed sales are useful, but only if the original asking price and listing date can be matched consistently.
 
Build three small groups: completed, still active and withdrawn. For each, record neighbourhood, condition, occupancy, original asking price, price-cut date and days advertised. Then compare the median patterns rather than treating the 71-day figure as one market-wide answer. If the completed group moved faster while similar active homes stayed unchanged in price, seller motivation is probably part of the explanation.
 
Back
Top