Are Rome listings at €188,600 really taking 118 days to sell?

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
I’ve been looking at Rome mixed-use buildings between €150,900 and €226,300, centred roughly on €188,600. The listings still visible suggest around 118 days to find a buyer, with the longer cases appearing linked to financing costs.

I’m trying to decide whether this indicates a genuine slowdown or simply reflects stale stock. Would recent completed sales support that reading once withdrawn listings and price reductions are included?
 
The active listings may be giving you survivor bias: properties that sold quickly have disappeared, while difficult ones remain visible. I’d compare completed deals with withdrawn stock from the same listing period. Also, does your 118-day figure run from the original listing date or the latest relisting? That can materially change the picture.
 
One more question: how tightly have you drawn the neighbourhood boundaries? Rome-wide comparisons can mix very different micro-markets. Condition matters too—a ready property and one requiring substantial work may attract buyers with different financing constraints, even at similar asking prices.
 
I wouldn’t treat completed sales as the definitive answer either. They exclude owners who withdrew rather than accept a lower price, so they can make demand look healthier than it was. New-listing volume and the timing of the first price cut may be more revealing: 118 days without a reduction says something different from 118 days after several adjustments.
 
Relying only on completed sales hides owners who withdrew, while treating every live listing as evidence of weak demand gives stale stock too much weight. I’d divide the sample into sold, available and withdrawn properties, then record whether and when each price was reduced. Keep the neighbourhood and condition comparable. Only after that would I test whether financing problems are widespread or concentrated among listings still online, since an early price cut is difficult to undo.
 
Back
Top